Help catching walleye

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by tomcat85, Sep 28, 2007.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    I was out fishing tonite and no cats were biting so we went under the dam and there were tons of walleye some pretty big ones too. Can anyone help me catch one? lol Would a live minnow under a bobber work or do you have to use lures??

Tom

2. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    It`s hard to beat a floating crankbait. Fished real slow against the shore at nite this time of year.I head up to Lake Erie and do this.Works good till ice moves in. Best of luck to you. Randy

3. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use a float and minnow quite a bit for walleyes, but I do use slow crank trolled crank baits the most (normally to find them which it appears you might not need to do). Also, whenever I fish walleyes, I always use very light line (typically 4-6 pound test).

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    a minnow under a float is deadly but you can also throw a 1/8th or 3/16th jig with a 3 inch curly tail grub in chartreuse or red and get the same results.

5. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Everything they said will work good. SLOW bait movement is very important. Not sitting still, not buzzing, slow.:cool2:

6. big_fish

big_fish New Member

State:
    michigan
    cant beat leeches on a lindy rig

7. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I started catching Walleye quite by accident while night catfishing a 250 acre + strip pit here in Se Kansas...my fishing campadre and I were experimenting with 3-way rigs...suspending a live and lively 2"-4" black perch...at various depths from the bottom up in about 37' of water.

There were fish showing up on the fish finder suspended at various depths...but there was one group tightly congregating around an underwater hump on a shelf covered with debris...wood I assume....that is close to a point that extends gradually until it drops off into the main channel...which is 70' deep in places.

We intially thought they were channel cats...this pit is known for lunker channel...as well as big bass, crappie, and to a lesser degree...walleye.

We each had a nice 19" keeper Eye' apiece within 20 minutes....and three more between us in the next 45 minutes.

Then the screen cleared out on the Fish Finder...and shortly there'd be another school move in...except these would be Channel.

We'd catch a few...most were of like size in the individual schools...and then they'd move on too.

Then another would move in an hour or so later...and these would be Walleye.

We never did get a mixed bag out of the same school.

And they all...both the Eye's and the Channel...were of like size.

This continued throughout the night until a couple hours after dawn...and we ended up with 5 walleye from 4 lb to 7 lb...and 10 eater sized Channel from 3 lb up to 14 lb apiece.

The mixed bag experience still occurs on a regular basis on this what I referred to as a lesser know Walleye fishery...but that most certainly does not mean that there aren't a ton of better than average sized Walleye....my intent was that...simply put...hardly anybody fishes for them.

The Eyes are aggressive when they finally decide to feed...and are cruising in wolf packs on the hunt for forage...looking for trouble.

Other days...it's mostly or all Channel...hence the fickle reputation a Walleye has for being a reclusive bite.

And then on a good day when everything is right...a guy might catch a 6 lb Largemouth...a 5 lb Walleye...and a 10 lb Channel...and if you're really lucky...a 40 lb renegade Flathead that made its way up a runoff creek into the pit.

There are over 400 strip pits of varying sizes...nearly 15,000 acres in all...in the Mined Land Wildlife Area in Se Kansas...which is reclaimed surface mining excavations for coal...Back in the 40's and 50's...donated by the P and M mining Corp. to the State of Kansas...which has managed and stocked the pits since the late 60's.

The primary forage being perch of various species...including black perch...which are my favorite because they are a hardy baitfish...surviving extended soaks when targeting sometimes fickle Walleye.

However...I have discovered that Walleye...especially the bigger ones...will most certainly scavenge a dead perch that is suspended or bottom fished.

My second largest Eye...8 lb...was caught on a dead 3" bluegill...and it made an AWESOME shore lunch at our primitive campsite at 2 AM...rolled in Harold Ensley dry batter mix...and cooked over a hot coal fire in an iron skillet.

Nothin' beats fresh Walleye fillets cooked outdoors...smores for dessert...and washed down with an ice cold Busch beer.

A Good Buddy...A Great dog...and Good Times!

8. STEVECAT

STEVECAT New Member

State:
    Huron Oh
    Tomcat , try using a Huskyjerk or any other type of minnow luer,try different retrieve methods (like slow jerk stop)fast stop jerk stop ect. usually shad colors work best but presentation is more inportant,especially night fishing.
    as far as minnows youll have to keep that as mostly a daytime tactic.
    night fishing walleye this time of year is alot of fun and can pay as far as big fish caught, they are just starting to turn on up here at Erie and I spend most of my evenings at the beach,
    im sure the eyes your after share the same feeding habits as the eyes here.
    good luck and hope this helps.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    try a floating 1 1/16 oz. jig with a minnow on it and a splitshot 6" ahead of it, and reel slow. if they are acting aggressive, use a regular jighead and reel in about 10" below the surface. good luck!

10. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    the very best bait i have used at night for walleye is the rapala x-rap 12 in ghost white. twitch twitch pause. this is in a dam, fish holding between 12 to 3 feet. fat fish on every cast. many say, and i have seen video that black silhouettes better at night but walleye have incredible eyseight and if i only had one lure to choose it would be the x-rap. fished pretty slow. let it suspend twich twich baam!

another phenomenal bait is the rapala dt6 bleeding heart olive with the vmc sure set hooks. this is my lucky lure for the dam. i caught a michigan dam slam on this one in the afternoon. walleye, smallmouth, pike.

husky jerk or any other lure that suspends will work but everytime i chuck the glass ghost raps magic happens.

you can cover so much more water with these than with live bait and a bonus is that only really big fish bite with the exception of the smallies but those fish have issues :big_smile: regards. m.a.d.

11. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I'll be trying the X-Rap fer sure! I have two sizes of the pearl white...I use them for Hybrid white bass and white bass at the local dam here during the spawning run.

Thanks!

12. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    Catcaller,

Buddy, if i were hooking onto giants like the ones your catching i would probably leave the x-rap in the tackle box :wink:

i have absolutely no idea about the strip mines but sounds like fun. if you do decide to experiment take into account the water clarity. if it's very clear i would recommend a trout color x-rap instead of white. the trout color works fantastic over hear on the clear lakes while the white not a bite. also i chuck the deep diving x-rap as opposed to the regular in the deeper lakes as opposed to the river and dam.

if you can get out, thursday is full moon and according to all of the solunar and fishing tables from then on to the weekend should be epic.

i will be going for walleye and muskies and i probably will pan fish earlier and use the different level perch rigs you are having luck with just for kicks.

regards, m.a.d.

13. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Mauricio...

There are times when anchored...using live bait will pay off...but it doesn't always work for the walleye.

The channel cat bite is consistent...day in and day out. They are always on the prowl...cruising the outside edges of the weedlines looking for a meal. (especially along weed lines located close to a drop off or an extended point...finding wood or rock cover next to those areas is even better)

Sometimes the walleye duplicate this pattern...other times it's just not so.

It's these times when a guy needs to go looking for the walleye...if that's what you're hungry for.

I use my depthfinder to locate suspended fish...and then concentrate on casting towards the shoreline...looking for the more aggressive members of the school.

I have had success using grubs, spinnerbaits, and deep diving crankbaits...but nothing to really holler about.

If the X-Rap produces in one area for the same species of fish I'm attempting to target...logic tells me that it should also work around here.

I'm a novice when it comes to consistently catching walleye...but they are most certainly in there...and VERY few anglers around these parts actually target them.

I have more success in the river for eyes...they bite the same things that the whitebass and hybrids like...and I as a result get a few along the way.

They are a hard fish to pattern in still water IMO...but I haven't given up on them...and seem to learn a little more every year that goes by.

As far as the pits are concerned...the hardest part about them is figuring out which one of the 400 is the flavor of the day....although I definately have my favorites.

It is nice to have the pits as an option...as the river fishing here is seasonal.

The even nicer part is that a guy can get out there...in a truly rural setting...and be alone on the water.

Thanks for your help.

Brian

14. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    A j-13 firetiger with a very slow retrieve,if there are some lights shining on the water fish around those.

15. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Wow catcaller, you giving bait advise or producing a Beer commercial....lol:smile2:

16. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    LOL...nothin beats a frosty cold one while enjoying a shore lunch cooked over a campfire in an iron skillet....enjoying great company...jamming out to some Hank Jr tunes....especially when it's breaded and seasoned WALLEYE fillets...guess I just know what I like! :wink:

Good Times!

17. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well, here in MN, where walleyes are targetted more than in a lot of other places (hey its our state fish) I spend a lot of time targeting 'eyes. I like crawlers (inflated so they float level to the water surface) for using on lakes when there isn't much wind and really finesse em. When there is wind and "walleye chop" or when on rivers, I prefer to fish with lures. The size and type of lure depend on a lot of variables.
    Clear water=smaller bait and slower retrieve

I also only target them in early morning and early evening, low light conditions.

Since they are so highly stocked here, it is fairly easy to target and catch walleys consistantly.

18. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    According to the KDWP website there are ample walleye stocked into 6 of our strip pits...I'm in the frame of mind that my lack of consistencey is a product of operator malfunction. :wink:

Although I still do better than most around these parts.

Regardless...IMO...there is no finer eating fish than a walleye.

I' give my cohorts at work, friends, and extended family bags of whitebass and catfish fillets.

I'll give my grandma crappie fillets.

But when it comes to walleye...grandma needs to get her own...lol. :wink:

19. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I should pay more attention to where people are from....I didn't realize until you mentioned the KDWP where ya lived. lol I used to fish down in Kansas quite a bit when I lived there. I only fished the Neosho though, I never hit any of the pits. I remember catching some nice pike outta that river though, and a lot of good cats (and a ton of drum).

My grandma always got her walleye from me. She loved fish, but hated bones. She would only eat sunnies or walleye from most people. I was the only one she trusted to clean a northern for her though. Still keep a lot 'eyes and jumbo perch for me though (the jumbo part of the perch is starting to be a misnomer though, can't find the real jumbo's anymore:sad2:)

20. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    You must be thinking of another river buddy...I only WISH there were Pike in the Neosho!!

Lots of other good stuff tho...channel, blues, flathead, wiper, whitebass, striper, largemouth, smallmouth, kentuckies, crappie, walleye, spoonbill, gar, buffalo, carp, and yes LOTS of drum....not to mention the extremely diverse population of assorted species of forage fish....the most prominent being millions upon millions of gizzard shad.