HELP!!!!Catching Drum from a river

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Joey6500, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Freshwater drum is one of my favorite baits for Flatheads but I don't know how to target them specifically(or if that was even possible)I usually just toss out a crawler fished on the bottom.I catch some but not that many.Maybe 5 or 6 a day.With 2 or 3 of them being bait sized(I prefer 5-12 inches)I just wish I could get a good supply of them like I can with Gills,Bullheads,Suckers etc.Any help is appreciated

2. rmitchell

rmitchell New Member

State:
    tn
    I ALSO LIKE TO USE DRUM. THE BEST WAY I HAVE FOUND TO CATCH THEM ON THE CUMBERLAND RIVER IS WORMS. I JUST RUN THE HOOK THROUGH THE WORM UNTIL THE HOOK IS COVERED THEN LET ABOUT A INCH HANG OFF.

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    At this time of year worms will probably be your best bet but, when spring gets here get yourself a bunch of crawdads and fish in rivers with them. Drums as well as cats and other fish love crawdads.

4. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Give white curl tail grubs a try around the mouth of creeks.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    those double curltail grubs they sell as spinnerbait trailers (colored white) drive drum crazy on the red river. aside from that, i'll have to second the crawdads. i won't even use crawdads on the river because of the drum! if you're looking for the little ones for livebait, i would try throwing a castnet on sandbars where they usually hang out.

6. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Yep drum are specialized dad hunters. Even have crushers to crunch the shells. But I have found when fishing them I dont get vary many bait size on them more 2 pounders and up.

7. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I have always caught them using minnows.

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    you can catch them round boat ramps that have lights shining on the water with a cast net.catch a lot of shad and gills to.

9. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for all the pointers.I think I'm gonna try more with crawdads next year ,hopefully I can have a basket full every night I fish:wink:
    Is it spring yet?