help catching big catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tomtom, Jun 19, 2009.

1. tomtom

tomtom New Member

State:
    nevada
    hello everyone im new here i joined this site for learn more from you guys about catching big cats, i have been living in west africa and fishing the gambia river for two years now last year i fished it really hard but all i caught were tiny catfish, like really tiny under 1/2 pound. I know there are big fish in the river but i cant figure out how to catch them. i generally use cut bait, worms, or fish guts. On a rig that rests on the bottom or a few feet up from the bottom. Any information would be helpful or please ask me if you need additional information from me to help figure out this river.

thankyou

2. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    WELCOME TO THE BOC THOMAS.I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THAT AREA BUT I HEARD THERE ARE SOME HUGE FISH OVER THERE.I WOULD GO WITH BIG LIVE BAIT OR BIG CUT BAIT.TRY TO FIND SOME GOOD CURRENT IN THE RIVER AND FISH BELOW THAT ANY LOG JAMS OR STRUCTURE IS A GOOD PLACE ALSO.KEEP TRYING AND YOU WILL GET A BIG ONE SOONER OR LATER.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Thomas.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Welcome to the BOC Brother. Always remember this.... Big catfish are predators. Look at your neighborhood cat and watch what he does. He will find a nice out of the way spot and watch for the unwary and then pounce!

Catfish find a nice spot out of the current.... a log, boulder anything where he can sit without a lot of effort, and wait for food to drift by.

Big cat fish can eat anything you are strong enough to heave out there. Folks look at my equipment like I am nuts. When I first came to this site I bought ridiculous sized hooks like 6/0 circles..... and people here laughed and said that 6/0's were too small.

I now use anywhere from 8/0 to 12/0 depnding upon the hook. I love Gamakatsu hooks with bait, either cut or live from 6" to 10".

Good luck in your search!

5. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Welcome to the boc tom. Dont Give up all i have caught so far is a 3lb channel, messed my baitcasting reel up 4 or 5 differnt times gettin the line buried in the spool after a few choice words and more beer i got over it, been out 12 or so times, but i refuse to give up on those big cats, there are some monster's in that afican river, GL hope you catch one and post it love to see one from there.

6. tomtom

tomtom New Member

State:
    nevada
    thanks for all the info guys

7. richard84

richard84 New Member

State:
    ky
    when all else fells go with live bait...try all sizes and types...keep on castin folks

8. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    im still waiting on my big one to dont give up keep fishin and just keep trying different parts on the water