help carlyle lake

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by ROB_STANG2000, Jul 17, 2008.

1. ROB_STANG2000

ROB_STANG2000 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I went out last Saturday and came to the conclusion that I don’t have any idea what I’m doing I tried stink bate on a treble hook and shad on a big #4 with a heavy weight about 11in. from the bait. Didn’t do any good in the lake, and lost lots of gear on the rocks on the spillway. If you can give me any help or guidance that will be grate I’m new to this thanks

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    those rocks can suck cant they? one way i have learned to deal with that is to get a sinker mold and use some paper clips to put some "legs"on your sinker. this will help greatly in keeping it outta the rocks. are you fishing carlyle from the bank or a boat?

3. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    First off welcome to the BOC. I cant help you with Caryle lake, but there are alotof folks on here that can.

4. ROB_STANG2000

ROB_STANG2000 New Member

State:
    Illinois
  5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    heres another way to deal with those rocks. get you a 3way swivel. tie your hook on with 25 pound test or better(the same you should be using on your rod) and tie your sinker on with some 6 pound test. the idea is if you get stuck in the rocks, just leave it there, and your bait will still be up in the current. when a fish comes along, it will break the 6 pound test and leave you free to reel him in.

6. ROB_STANG2000

ROB_STANG2000 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks i will try that friday night

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    :0a22::0a25::0a25:Robert Welcome to the BOC.

8. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    That is precisely the rig that I use. Sometimes I will add a small float just above the hook as well.

9. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Welcome to the BOC, Robert! I don't fish the lake @ carlyle a lot, I don't too much care for 5 foot waves, but there are plenty of knowledgeable folks on here that i'm sure can give you the info. that you want. Big muddy has you headed in the right direction, as for as getting hung up in the rocks. Good luck!

10. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    go below the foot bridge and on the west side I'v caught some mighty fine catfish there.

11. ROB_STANG2000

ROB_STANG2000 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks for all your help going to try it tonight. hope to see some of you out there

12. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
  13. ROB_STANG2000

ROB_STANG2000 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I got two on friday night nothing big a 4 and 3 pounder. thaks for all you help