Help - Can't get the pin out

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by keithcatfish, Oct 30, 2006.

1. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    B+B,

My power tilt/trim motor on my 1990 merc 60 needs to be replaced. Funny thing is, the tilt/trim unit is for a 70-200 HP engine (according to the shop manual). The problem: I cant get the retaining pin out of the hydraulic ram. I figure this should take a few light taps but I have managed to bend several nails that I ground flat to make into punches. How the heck can I get the pin out? I gotta fix this quickly, its prime time for big cats in TN. Thanks for your help.

Keith

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    You need to try a REAL punch. nails are too soft. It might take a little more then a light tap,its been in there for 16years exposed to the elemants and stuff. go soak it down with penitrating oil and go to the hardware store and buy a good punch and give her a few wacks and see what happens. also check and make sure there are no set screws holding it in place

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Crank the engine up and get yourself in a life or death situation where the only thing that will save you is if the pin doesnt come out!!!!!Should fall out right before your eyes.:big_smile: :lol: Sorry I don't have a useful solution but this one has worked for me in countless situations.:smile2: :eek:oooh: