Help - Can't get the pin out

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by keithcatfish, Oct 30, 2006.

1. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

Maryville, TN

My power tilt/trim motor on my 1990 merc 60 needs to be replaced. Funny thing is, the tilt/trim unit is for a 70-200 HP engine (according to the shop manual). The problem: I cant get the retaining pin out of the hydraulic ram. I figure this should take a few light taps but I have managed to bend several nails that I ground flat to make into punches. How the heck can I get the pin out? I gotta fix this quickly, its prime time for big cats in TN. Thanks for your help.

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

Kansas City
    You need to try a REAL punch. nails are too soft. It might take a little more then a light tap,its been in there for 16years exposed to the elemants and stuff. go soak it down with penitrating oil and go to the hardware store and buy a good punch and give her a few wacks and see what happens. also check and make sure there are no set screws holding it in place

3. jim

jim New Member

Jacksonville NC
    Crank the engine up and get yourself in a life or death situation where the only thing that will save you is if the pin doesnt come out!!!!!Should fall out right before your eyes.:big_smile: :lol: Sorry I don't have a useful solution but this one has worked for me in countless situations.:smile2: :eek:oooh: