Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Help blueing a rifle

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Andy52 
#1 ·
So ive got an old stevens savage model 110 25-06 that i got for my 14th birthday and im now 22 i let my brother use it for a couple years and he got alot of rust on it, its not completely rusted out but its enough to bother me, how hard is it to reblue a rifle and is perma blue a good brand to use for it? Also i just bought a savage axis 22-250 with ss barrel. I want to replace the stock on the 250 and 25-06 and thinking about using boyds gun stocks to replace them with. Will putting a new stock on it hurt the way the gun funtions at all? And will i need to site it in again after i do?

#3 ·
It's been many-many years (like over 25) since I blued a gun. I can't tell you anything as I am sure products can and have changed.

What I do remember is patience-patience-patience. The preparation is everything. If you have any discoloration in the metal when you apply the bluing...it will stand out like a sore thumb. I remember sitting and watching tv working a steel wool pad over a barrel for hours. Take your time and when you think your done...do it more.

#6 ·
Nothing you buy is going to blue it properly. I would pass on the getting it re-blued and get it cerakoted. It will last longer, it is a matte color and you can get it done in pretty much any color. It is fairly inexpensive to do. There is a company in Wichita (can't remember the name at the moment) that specializes in coatings. If you want it done right I'd suggest getting in touch with them.

#7 ·
Nothing you buy is going to blue it properly. I would pass on the getting it re-blued and get it cerakoted. It will last longer, it is a matte color and you can get it done in pretty much any color. It is fairly inexpensive to do. There is a company in Wichita (can't remember the name at the moment) that specializes in coatings. If you want it done right I'd suggest getting in touch with them.
X2

There is no cold blue on the market that will look as good or be as durable as factory hot blue, as stated Cerakote is a excellent product and is very durable plus it comes in numerous colors.

#8 ·
I have done hot bluing, back when I had a shop and I have done cold bluing. Brownells sells a bluing paste that works well. it is made for small repair bluing but I have done whole barrels with it. The prep and De-greasing is the most important part. They sell small bottles of de-greaser to use after you clean up with Stainless steel wool regular steel wool has oils in it to keep it from rusting and that will transfer to the metal and make the bluing not cover well. Many coats and buffing until you get the coverage and color to match. Hope this helps some.

#10 ·
Here's my dilemma. Rifle uncle bought for Grandaddy, varmint gun. 80 years or so later, returned to me. A little rifle.

Remington patented July 22, 1902

S97642

Blue it or knot?
Biggest problem with older guns is if you re-blue them they lose a good portion of there collectors value. If the gun doesn't have much collectors value and your doing it for sentimental reasons it doesn't matter.

#11 ·
Don't waste your time with cold blue.. I did an 870 once that I got real cheap because all the bluing was basically gone, I bought a cold blue kit and prepped it exactly like the directions said.. It looked great when I first finished it but after it was oiled a couple times the bluing just disappeared like i never even did it..

#12 ·
LIke everyone else said, no cold blue will give satisfactory results....The last one I did, I gave up and bead blasted then coated with Brownells Aluma-Hyde II in semi-gloss...I gave it about 3 weeks to cure and the gun looks really good with a Boyds Prairie Hunter Laminate stock in nutmeg color.

#15 ·
Ive reblued a single shot 410 years ago. It aint as pretty as factory but its blued. Ive had no problems with the bluing disappearing but it mostly rests in a gun sock. Like a few others have said, the prep is the most important. When you think your done do it again and again. If its an important or valuable gun id get it done professionally, an old hunting gun dont have to be pretty.

Cat I wouldnt reblue it!!

#16 ·
Ive done a single shot 16ga and an old 22 for my grandfather twelve years ago with the Birchwood Casey walmart blue pruducts. I think they are better than some make it out to be BUT there are certainly better options. Both those guns still look great but I put aLOT of time into them and also they are farm guns so they see little use outside of groundhog duty.
To the OP if youre only looking to curb the rust it is a good option until you can afford something better. But if you make it an off season project and youre gonna restock it I would go ahead and put the extra effort into it. Go to brownells and order an acraglass bedding kit (or two) to bed youre action into the new stock and find someone local who does cerakote or a smith who does rust-blue and have youre barreled action refinished right. Spread it out and by next hunting season youll have a brand new gun!
To Catt, as others have said, NO!

#17 ·
In addition to what Craig said if you intend to glass bed your rifle stock with acraglass (good stuff by the way) and you still want to try to cold blue when your ordering from brownells get some 44/40 or oxpho-blue IMO.....they are better products then Birchwood Casey I've tried all three over the years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.