HELP! Black Lab afraid of riding in truck

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Roll Tide Roll, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Roll Tide Roll

Roll Tide Roll New Member

State:
    Georgia
    This is a first for me, I have had numerous dogs, and they all love riding in my truck with the windows down; however, my newest addition to my family, Daisy, is afraid of riding in any vehicle. Any tips or tricks to get her comfortable riding in a car/truck?

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    How old is she? What kind of personality does she have? Are there other dogs? Is she in a rural or built-up environment? Is she gun-shy? Can you control her on a lease? Will she answer your commands yet. Does she have a reason to go? (if you are going to get ice cream I will ride with you)

3. Roll Tide Roll

Roll Tide Roll New Member

State:
    Georgia
    She listens to me and is about 2.5 years old. She is a very loving and gentle dog, but still hyper when the mood gets to her. She is not a rural dog, more suburban. Thunderstorms do not bother her, so I assume she is not gun shy. I don't hunt. I am hoping I can get her going in the truck because when I go fishing late at night, a big dog is a bit of a good companion.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I had a female Irish Setter that I got as a puppy and she got car sick and threw up in my spouses lap on the way home trip during her first car ride.Needless to say she didn't want anymore car rides ,the dog,not my spouse!!!!!!:wink::big_smile::eek:oooh:Since we were a camping ,hunting and fishing family it was necessary for Scarlet to ride with us.For a long time she would drool and get nervous if she knew a trip was coming up,and she had to be carried to the vehicle.We never started the vehicle before trying to put her in because of the noise, even though she wasnt gun shy, and so she wouldnt smell any exhaust fumes either.We "talked " to her in a reasuring manner and tried to calm her fears,but most of all we just continously took her until she began to realize that the vehicle represented fun things like a camping trip where she could run free and swim in the river and chase the two boys around and oh by the way get her own hotdog and marshmellow around the campfire!!!!:big_smile:She loved to hunt and was one of the few dogs I ever saw that would willingly retrieve Doves.After about a year or so it took all we could do to restrain her from running THROUGH the screendoor and jumping in the backseat of the Suburban with a look that said "Lets GO"She lived to be 14 ,raised two good boys ,was my "Girl" for her entire life and I hope is waiting for me in heaven when I go. Eventually they do get used to riding in a vehicle and generally love to hang their head out the window in the breeze.She also loved riding on the front deck of my bassboat,legs braced and beautiful ears blowing in the wind.She was known by all the kids at the local lakes and they would point and wave to her as we went by.Sure do miss her.:sad2:

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jim just gave you the answer.

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Scott, another thing you can do is to open all the doors of the car when it is in your driveway and turned off. Lead her around the car, let her sniff it. Then teach her to get in and go through the car. One thing I found with my lab, is that if she KNEW she could get out by going THROUGH from 1 side to the other, she would get in willingly. Give her a treat each and every time she gets in the car. Then start closing the door oppisite her a little more each time until she gets in when it is completely closed. Then, start getting in the car with her until she is comforatable and lays down in the car. Then you can start closing the other door while she is in it. This will take a while, and several sessions, but, she will get used to the car that way, and it will be familiar to her.

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Answer #2. Ask and you shall receive around here. Ready to get that ice cream yet?

8. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Better question, how do you break a 3-4 y/o lab of being afraid of water. For the life of me, I can't get my lab to get in the water at all. I've tried everything I can think of, up to and including tossing her favorite toy in the water, she will NOT get in it. If I try to lead her into the water, she will try and pull out of her harness. I think she is destined to be a land lubber.

9. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if you have any other dogs that like to ride in the truck, take one of them along when you and the lab go for your next ride. maybe the comfort of having another four legged companion along will sho her that its ok to ride in the truck.

10. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The only luck I have had with that and it has been with 3 dogs. Ya got to toss 'em in the water and let them swim. Be nice about it, be there for them to the point of getting in the water if you have to. Make it a game, laugh at the situation and not at them. When they are out it is hugs and kisses, something my wife don't do anymore. And then back in the water, with a treat or smiley face everytime. Leave it go a coupla days and repeat it. Make sure they are by the water daily. If you have a friend who has a dog that swims get it involved after the first time. If she is birdy, get a wing or dead bird out there for her. Don't drown yourself. John.

11. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jim, that reminds me of the 2 Golden Retrievers I had. I sure miss those dogs. they loved kids, water, camping, fishing riding in trucks. Everybody knew them and I took them with me most everytime. There was times they would both jump in truck when I wasn't going anywhere and talk about hard headed on getting them out, they was ready for a ride or lake fun even if I wasnt. I dang near had to drive to lake and back to get them out. LOL

Scott, was their first ride in truck, too the Vet. That will make a dog gun ( truck ) shy.

Those who do take their dogs with them. Dont leave them in a hot truck if you have to make a stop before getting to lake etc..

12. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Just name her Harley Davidson.. then she will love to ride in the back of a truck:wink:

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tony the same Irish Setter, Scarlet had a bad experience with water when she was about 2 I think.We were going fishing and walking across the top of a small dam spillway that had a little water running over it,couple of inches maybe.She was walking by my side and strayed a little and stepped of the dam into the water.She was so surprised she didnt know what to do and was having a hard time climbing out because of the slippery algae.Up to that point she figured water was OK and if Daddy could walk on it so could she>:big_smile::eek:oooh:After that she hated the water.As it turned out we adopted a male setter for a while,while his folks were away and he loved the beach.He would sit patiently near the water with his red rubber ball in his mouth waiting for someone to throw it out in the waves for him.Of course he got a lot of attention and praise for this and Scarlet being female got real jealous,so finally she would sit there also and chase the ball until it became a contest of who would get it first.After that she had no more problems with water.SO maybe you should have your dog hang out with some that love the water,dont try and force her,but I'll bet if you go down there and fuss and praise the others she will catch on right quick.:wink::crazy::big_smile:I do not know if this idea works with male dogs!!!!!Probably not, as any self respecting male would consider any other dog dumb enough to put all that effort out to swim after a ball an idiot.A Male dog would remain on shore licking his owners beer bottle and laying on his back trying to impress any passing female poodles.!!!!!!:big_smile::wink:

14. CATFISHING1

CATFISHING1 New Member

State:
    MO.
    hey tdawg, how cold is the water? sometimes dogs dont like that real cold water. but if its warmer water they might go in better. also does he/she play fetch with a ball or stick. the two you she in my aveator hated water come to find out the creek water was way too cold for them. now they wont stay out of the water when we go to the lake. also try putting your dog in a crate in the back when traveling until she gets better at riding up front.

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    That is considered a smart dog in south Georgia.We got Gators!I love you Brothers and Sisters,Peewee

16. okie gal

okie gal New Member

State:
    Okla. City
    Scott,
    I hope you've gotten some useful information so far. We had a black lab/bird dog and he wouldn't ride in the truck or swim in the pond. I thought it would be better if we had taken him as a puppy in the truck.
    You may just need to get a white lab:big_smile: lol. We have one named Sally and she loves to ride in any vehicle plays in the water as well. It just may be the color that is the problem.lol

Okie gal

17. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I have a Ridgeback that WAS truck shy. If u just encourage them to get into truck and treat them when they do, they learn that it is good to be there. i had to leash my dog in the back of the truck, cuz she loves to chase cows and would jump off of the back.
    My dog still hates water though. As a pup she jumped off of the front of my boat in December chasing after some ducks that just took off. I was going full speed and she almost drown before i could get back to her. Her head had just stopped coming up when i got there and jumped in for her. She will not get into any water over belly deep to her for any circumstances. i have tried swimming out and calling her, throwing balls, and crossing small streams. If it is deeper than 16" or so she just will not go.

18. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I totally agree with leaving all the doors open in the truck. If ya have to even start out by feeding inside, just don't drive after feeding ( might not be a pretty sight). Do that awhile then do it with the truck on. Make sure the dog will go in one side then out the other. Also I wouldn't start the truck while the dog is around at first. Never try to push or pull the dog in or out. Try this with only the one dog first, sometimes one dog will follow another in other times this my stress them-you decide on that. You can even get inside or turn your back and watch him sniff around eventually he will sneak in. After he finally is willing to get in take him for short rewarding rides like the lake or a dog walking trails where it is dog sniffing heaven. Remember some dogs get car sick and wont ever like rides, so I wouldn't go for rides on a full stomach till you know.

A dog that wont swim. One trick I found was to go to a lake that has a sandy shore with a real gradual bank...no steep drop offs, lots of water that is shallow. I play fetch on the bank first , then at the edge of the water, then out further-like dog wading. The final plunge will come when the ball is a little bit out of standing reach. Same here never push, pull,or throw him in. Trauma wont change his mind. I have throw dogs in but they were young and were'nt afraid of water they just didn't know what to expect. Your dog is grown already and know what water is. I also don't feed them way before swimming. Mine take in so much water the end up throwing up water and chewed up sticks, lol. Everything I said here should take place over weeks if need be. Going faster than what the dog is ready will give you major set backs. Take your time and enjoy the fruits of your labor. I hope this helps ya : )....Oh, my wife said try throwing a cat in first, lol...Good luck.

19. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I like that cat trick. Probably beats a chicken leg bone.

20. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    LOL, now that's funny right there, I don't care who ya are. Only problem is that Lady, my lab likes cats.