Help - best way to catfish in the wind?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by momafish, Jan 22, 2006.

1. momafish

momafish New Member

State:
    anderson
    What is a good way to fish in the wind. because some times i go fishing and i can't tell when i am getting a bitel.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What type of rig are you fishing with, type rod, bottom fishing or under a cork etc.? Fishing from the bank, boat?

3. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Momafish, if I'm bank fishing and it's windy, I try to keep my rod tip as low to the ground as possible, and as close to the water's edge as possible. If it's really windy, I'll lay my rod on the ground and put a thumb sized stick in front of the reel between the line and rod, and shove it in the ground so only about 4 inches is sticking up. That keeps a cat from dragging the rod into the water. Then, if the water is at 12 O'clock, I'll point the rod tip at about 2 O'clock. Any bite will pull the rod straight so it is pointing at the water and that let's you know it's doing something.
    Rat

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Fishin tidal water all the time I run into this problem. I always fish from a boat and sometimes if ya get the wind and tide goin in opposite directions ya can really take a pounding. I'll keep my rods in the rodholders that are about at a 30 degree angle. I use a carolina rig with a no roll sinker. Tite line with a circle hook. The circle hook bein the key. The boat will be rockin and the rod tip will be jumpin but, with the circle hook and some cooperation from the fish they will hang themselves.

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    When catfishing from shore or boat fish from the shore the wind is blowing to. The wind blows the plankton that shad eat in whatever direction the wind is blowing. The catfish will follow the shad so it's best to fish on the shores where the wind is blowing to.

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I do know it can be rough fishing in alot of wind, from the bank, using a baitcaster and power pro! The weight would go where I wanted it to, but the line went everywhere! I gave up and went home!:mad: lol, in moderate wind the fishing can be pretty good, but I would stick with mono line!

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    In the wind I try to use the heaviest weight possible, this doesn't cure the problem but I have found it to help some. Plus if the wind gets to bad its time to find a place out the direct current the wind is coming from maybe a bend, or into a creek area if possible.

8. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    More often than not I do not fish in the wind.Ive noticed that my bites tend to increase when fishing in the water.Now granted as a country boy when I heard about this fishing in the wind thing I thought I would give it a shot,Heck heard about them flying fish and thought I might catch me one of those fellas.I must not have got the technique quite right though,after spending 3 hours a day for better than a month havnt landed one yet but,think that I had a few bites.Guess Ill just stick to fishing in the water.

9. momafish

momafish New Member

State:
    anderson
    i fish on the bank on the bottom and i use a shakespeare 7 foot ugly cat rod and a abu garcia cardinal 357. Reel is that a good combo? need any more info just right me back hope that helps

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    What Bam said! Give us a bit of background on your situation and we should be able to come up with a solution...W

11. momafish

momafish New Member

State:
    anderson
    I fish on bottom whit a carolina rig whit a 1 ounce egg sinker.
    I fish on the bank on bottom and sometimes whit a slip cork.
    I fish on hartwell lake and ponds will that HELP?
    i fish whit chicken liver and worms and stink bait and shad.

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Teresa,
    You must have been typing same time as me! Fishing on the bottom is an easy one. If you like to hold the pole you can feel the line with your fingerand as soon as you get a hit set the hook. If you want to use a rod holder, get a very sturdy one and use a 2 ounce running sinkerand a circle hook. Set the rod at about 45 degrees and tighten up to the weight. the fish will load the rod and pretty much hook themselves. Hope that helps, feel free to ask more Q's...W

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If you are casting into the wind, which is good, then you are gonna have to put some weight on it. This is one place where a heavier rig comes in handy.

I learned a trick while doing some coastal fishing last week. This may be "old news" to you seasoned pro's, but on the piers at the beach they use a slider to attach their weight to.

The line runs through a tube, and the weight attaches to a snap on the tube. It allows the line to slide through the heavy weight, thus smaller fish do not have to be able to pick up the 3oz.-5oz. weight. The line remains secured to the bottom in wind and surf, but when it is pulled from the bait side you are able to detect the smallest bite.

I can post a pic of one is someone wants to know that they look like. I am sure they have a technical name.

14. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I throw out and then take some slack out of it. it will bow some with the wind When the bow starts to fade get ready. My grandma always sat with her thumb and forefinger pinching the line. She could feel the bite coming that way. We are from Kansas so we know about WIND. I may miss some bites with slack line, but I also catch my fair share. Have to hold rod and be ready tho. Grandma once caught two bullheads at once pinching the line, and without a hook. One tried to swallow another of nearly equal size. During the fight they fouled her line. Funniest thing I ever saw. Ate good tho:)

15. Darryl540

Darryl540 New Member

State:
    Clifton Forge Va
    The way I have done this for years and years now and it works great for any type of fishing from the bank in the wind...Find a stone that is smooth so you don't damage your line...After casting and placing your rod back in the holder get the line tight then pull enough line down towards slowly the ground to touch it midways between your reel and first eye on your rod...Take the smooth stone/rock and place it on the line to where it holds the line to the ground while still tight and the rock sitting on the line...When a fish strikes you will know it is not the wind due to the stone flying up upon the strike which the wind cannot do unless your stone is to light...You can also do basically the same with a large bobber/float by doing the same as above except you clip a float/bobber to the line in the same place then tie a weight off the bottum a couple inches under the float with line so it will suspend and not touch the ground.Once again use the right amount of weight based on your bait size etc...You get a bite the bobber goes straight up and smacks the rod and bounces letting you know it was not the wind...When I do these I keep my rods level and as low as I can...Hope this helps and goodluck....

16. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I set the rods so that the wind blow the rod left to right or the other way around. When you get a bite the rod will pull down toward the water. In other words set the rod so that a bite will look different then what the wind does to the rod.

17. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Try using circle hooks, I fish mainly on the bottom 3oz sinker or smaller.Depending on the time of year 4/0 to 9/0 hook with cut bait. Let the wind blow with circle hooks they stick themselves, when the pole bends in half - start reelin.