HELP! Bearing Question!!

Discussion in 'Boating' started by BoxxerBoyDrew, Aug 3, 2007.

1. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Hey Everyone!

Sorry to post a need help fast question on Ya'll, but here goes! I was going to add some grease in the hubs of the 85 Bass Tracker that I was told that the wheel bearings had been done just before buying the boat, and when pulling off the Grease Gun the Zerk broke out of the PLASTIC Bearing "Buddies" . So no biggie, and I went to the Academy and got a set of Bearing Buddys Stainless to fit the hub, got the Marine Grease, and everything I would need.

I was going to do the bearings this week, but my Sisters Father-in-Law Passed on Yesterday morning, and I now have to go 75 miles to the farm to attend the services. I bought the new plywood and Floatation Foam for the new floors and it is at the farm as well, so I was planing to take the boat to go ahead and cut the floors out and get everything fit.

WELL HERE IS MY PROBLEM ( Sorry about the long story!)! I don't have a set of jack stands at the house so I can only do 1 wheel at a time. I did the left hub first making sure which bearing came from the front and the rear sides of the hub. So I got the left side done , no problem, but when I took off the right side hub the bearings are in the oppisite positions!!!:crazy:

So I cleaned them well, and started to see if I could tell any difference, and they are different!!! First of all 1 of the bearing cages is BLACK with the other being silver. Also if you put the bearings in the hub the silver ones inner sleave sticks out more than the black one. THAT TELLS ME that that is the outter bearing, BECAUSE the inner sleave needs to ride on the castle nuts face and not the edge! DOES THAT MAKE SENCE TO YA'LL????? If I put the black one in the outter position the castle nut rubbs the cage of the bearing( what holds the rollers themselves inbetween the inner sleave and the race in the hub).

The sliver caged bearing is on the outter side on the left side and it rolls EXCELENTLY( is that a word?? LOL) So WHAT WOULD YA'LL RECOMEND????

The bearings are marked as " UTL D YUGOSLAVIA L44649 " on the inner sleave of the silver cage bearing!

I KNOW this is a shot in the dark, and I know this is all part of buying a used boat, but I need to take it to the farm so I can get the wood cut out as I can't carry it back home saftley with my BroncoII and the Boat behind me. It sux not having a truck!!!:sad2:

Again sorry to ramble on, and for the CRAZZZZY Question!! The bearings are in VERY GOOD CONDITION, so I don't want to trash them, that and the wife is on my butt for sinking in too much money on things she dosn't think should be as expensive as they are!!! :eek:oooh:

THANKYOU FOR ANY HELP YA'LL CAN PROVIDE ME!!
    Andy

P.S. the bearings are the same outter diameter as well as inner dismeter, but the rollers themselves stick out more on the BLACK caged bearing. If that helps??? :confused2:

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have seen the same thing in a couple of boats over the years... don't know if they were owned by the same guy or not, but he did not use the bearings manufactured for his hub, but odd and end bearings he had available. When I found this in my boat, I trashed the bearings and got the ones which fit my hub. Probably wasteful on my part, but I sleep better at night and have more confidence when I tow the boat. You may want to run by a local auto parts store in your area that you have trust and confidence in, and ask them the question. Other than that, let the seat of your pants guide you. LOL

3. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Thanks for the help AwShucks!! That is what I am going to do, and the wife will just have to understand!! LOL :wink: Better to spend the $25 now, than her having to come pick me up on the side of the road at 3am!! :smile2:

Thanks Again,
    Andy