Help attacking the Alabama River flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by dcaruthers, Jun 26, 2006.

1. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I need your advice. The Alabama river here near Montgomery is known to produce large flatheads but I'm having trouble locating them. Our river is deep, but lower than normal and has very slow current. There are no very sharps bends and definately no log jams like described by many of you. How would you attack these conditions and where do you think the flatties will set up?

2. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Find a cut back in the bank, something that has a back wash or swirl then heads right back into the current. This spot needs to be at least 3ft. deep. The river bank is straight up and down, there's about 4ft. of water right against the bank, this runs out to a ledge drop off about 4-6ft.(or more) to a depth of 6-20+ft. Got an island or sandbar? Same principals apply. Fish where the water splits to go around the island/sandbar. Fish a sand bar with a drop off very close, say from 4ft. to a few feet to 10ft. drop. Fish the sides and the down stream end of both, just short of deep water. Look for under cuts in the bank, roots in the water, any place bait fish can hide.
    Don

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Look for rocks and eddies preferably both together if theyres no log jams.If theres not much visible structure try the deepest holes you can find and sharp ledges.Shortshank took care of the rest.

4. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for the advice guys.

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    David,

The river I fish sounds alot like yours.
    The river averages 11 ft but i fish "holes" 14 and 20 ft.
    So just try the deepest parts of the river.

6. With the river down and the current slack they are liable to be holding very tight to whatever cover/structure they got. Falling water is a tough time as they tend to get shy and hole up.

7. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    You will probably have slow current and no current at times. But you will get at least some current when they dams generate. I would only look for feeding fish during that time. If you are pole fishing and there is no current, it will be hard to catch fish in the river. The few flatheads I have caught this time of the year on a rod and reel have been off ledges that drop off to deep water(as mentioned already) and rock banks. Down on this end of the AL the rock bluff type banks are in the curves and have the most current on them as compared to the other banks. Fish close to a treetop or snag along the bank.
    I guess you could say it is the same type of structure or cover that I bass fish just deeper for the flatheads. I have not caught many in the summer but that how I have done it.