Help around Charleston?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by alpal16, Aug 2, 2008.

1. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Hey Brothers and Sisters.

I know this is short notice, but I am headed down to Charleston today and going to be staying until next weekend. Any suggestions for cats in the area? I will actually be staying in Mt. Pleasant. Won't have a boat so will have to be fishing from shore. Any tips for spots, bait, strategies would be greatly appreciated---would there be channels, flatheads, or blues?

Thanks again.

Alex

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Alex, where in Charleston will you be staying? There are a few areas that may offer bank fishing, most notable would be the tailrace canal from Lake Moultrie, located north of Charleston in Moncks Corner, about an hour's drive away. There are also a couple of landings that may offer some luck, located near Cypress Gardens and Bushy Park. Without more info, it's hard to offer up anything more, but if you can call my cell # 843-344-1645 when you get down, I may be able to help a little more, nothing guaranteed, of course..
    JAinSC is closer to that area and may be able to help you, too.

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sorry I didn't see the post sooner. If you check in on vacation: We have all three of the cat species in the area, and all of the rivers have cats in them (the freshwater rivers, that is). You can fish from the bank near bridges or from around landings on the Cooper in some spots Tommy already mentioned, also on the upper Ashley river around Jessen landing in Summerville - might be a bit tough to explain how to get there, or on the Edisto River south of Charleston or on the Santee River north of Charleston.

If you get on highway 17 (the coastal highway) and go north, the Santee is about 45 minutes north of town. The highway crosses the South Santee and then the North Santee, both ahve cats in them. You can fish right around the landing on the North Santee (Poleyard Landing) which for some reason has a sign that says South Santee River access (that one's been bugging me for years). Might see a good blue cat here or maybe a flathead.

If you get on highway 17 and go south, you will come to the Edisto River - about 30 minutes south of town. There's some access right at the bridge (down to the left right after you cross) or you can take the first left after you cross (Hope Plantation Road) and follow the sign to the boat landing down that road (take another left just before it turns to dirt - Westbank Landing) and try fishing at the landing. There are channels here, and some decent blues (not too big in the Edisto - 15 is a real good blue in the Edisto) and a good shot at a flathead if you can get some live bait.

Bait - you can buy worms and fish for bream and use them for bait. If you have a cast net, then catch some mullet in the surf or saltwater creeks and put them on ice, and they make good cut or dead bait for blue cats. You can also buy squid or shrimp and try those. There's a mess of shrimp in the rivers right now, so that might be a good way to go.

Good luck. Please let us know what you try and how you do.

4. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Hey Thanks fellas...looks like I will not be able to head out until Friday, but plan to hit one of the spots you all have detailed. I will be doing some in-shore fishing Tomorrow and Thursday morning and plan to collect some mullet for bait then. Also, I will probably try and catch some bait when I get to one of the rivers and see how that goes. I will definitely post how I make out.

Thanks again...:cool2: