HELP....Any other small business owners

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Stumpknocker2, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    I own a surface reconditioning business, to clarify: I remove oxidation, overspray, concrete, bugs, tar, and what ever eles that may get on auto's, boats, RV's, ect. I color sand and use a high speed buffer to do this. Also I have carpet cleaner and detailing supplies to do the inside of the job also, plus I am mobile. I has been really good to me in the past. I am not quiet a year old, business wise, and things have dropped off, and have gotten really slow all of a sudden. I am awaiting my yellow page ad to come out in January, then I feel I will be nonstop. Presently I advertise in the local paper. However me and my new wife Ena bought a house in June and now work has slow down considerably:confused2: . Nerves are starting to get to me a bit, but I know that it is going to get better when the ad comes out but right now I need money to pay the bills. I am not broke yet but I am severly BENT. I go out and hussle up what work I do have. However, with the price of gas it is hard to burn that stuff just riding around "selling myself" to get work. The wife works and makes good money but her work is seasonal and will be slacking off the end of this month til Feb. If there are any other small business owners out there that may have some words of wisdom, I am all ears. I have prayed to the man upstairs and I try to keep faith but it seems at times not to be working. I feel I have done the footwork, and am in need of divine intervetion. So maybe, just maybe he will speak through one of you.
    Your fellow Bro,
    Glenn

ps if it helps to see my website it is www.revitalize2.com

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Glenn,

Hang in there brother, I am sure things will turn around when your ad go's live.

Wishing you and your family the best through this time.

Paul

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i feel your pain i too am in a slump have been for a couple months now , im to the point if i dont find work soon goin to have to take a job anywhere i can mcdonalds is starting to look better all the time , i normally paint houses and have been for the last 8 years , iv applied at several jobs but no one wants to hire me due to the fact iv been self employed so long . a hire risk lol what ever. good luck hang in there and you can always go fishin

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm self employed and have had the same problem. What worked well for me was to print fliers up and my wife and I would drive around and put them in news paper boxes at sub-divisions. I got a lot of business that way.

5. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    Cool, I was a painter for 17 years, but had neck surgery and cant do it for a living anymore, best of luck to you also.

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    each member of your church need your service somewhere in their lives

7. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Glenn, I have been self employed for over eight yrs now and I know what you are going through. This has been the slowest year since the begining.
    One thing I have learned is you have to put away money when times are good, for when times aren't so good. I know this does not help you any, though that is the most important thing I have learned while being self employed.
    I wish you the best with your business and hope things turn around soon for you

8. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Glenn, i am a mechanic and own my shop. this has been the slowest year for me in memory. it will pick up....or i'll meet you in the poorhouse:crazy:

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Glenn this is just a suggestion here. Have you posted an ad on the bulletin board at your local truck stop or big trucking companies they will kill for some one to remove road tar from those shiny tanks and wheels.

You all knock before you enter the poor house because I may be busy doing something I shouldn't be doing. I am already there.:lol:

10. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I biuld country furniture, 2004 like to broke my back, 2005 held held about noes high, above water, 2006 seems to be a little stronger, with you provideing a service, anyway you can, get your name before people will pay off, I loaded, furniture on a trailer and went to shops and showed them, the furn. This summer This week, got orders from two of those shops. from back in summer.
    anything to get your name out do it. and dont let up, do what you have to do.
    and I'll be praying for you. it will grow.
    Jim

11. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    GLENN, I OWN AND OPERATE MY OWN PAINTING COMPANY SO I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL, I WAS JUST WONDERING IF YOU HAVE CONSIDERED MAKING YOUR OWN WEB SITE? I ACTUALLY GET REFERRALS FROM MY SITE.IF YOU GO TO www.zoomshare.com ,YOU CAN ACTUALLY DESIGN YOUR OWN SITE.HOPE THIS HELPS BROTHER.

12. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Brother's that are getting hungry!!!

If you get desperate enough to "look for a job"... check out Home Depot or Lowe's. Down here they are starting out "KIDS" at $8.00 per hour, raise and bennies after 90 days !!! And they are ALWAYS hiring!!!

I got both of mine working at the Deopt, and the are even working around the "kids" schedule!!!

Seems just a bit better than Mickey D's!!!

13. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    glen i also own my own business and for the first year things were slow,until i got into the tellow pages. around here ive been seeing more and more carlots getting detail shops like yourself to do there cars. it seems like they cant keep help.just a thought, good luck.

14. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    my wife and i was recently laid off july 30 do to plant shut down, we both worked at the same place, they said they could get people over seas to do or jobs cheaper , i just had surgery on both arms (no fishing)and then they said i might miss hunting season (no bow hunting) so i feel your pain dont worry thing will get better

15. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I remember when I first started my shop, My gal and I each worked a 9-5'er to help make ends meet and to help pay for merchandise and mostly advertising! It was really hard and I was more than ready to just give it up and walk away like a man..but I couldn't! I had put alot of time, effort, and lots of money twards this venture and was gonna make it work...Well around christmass time things would pick up and look good and then a lul. It took two years for it to get off the ground enough so I could quit my job. But I stuck with it. Ended up selling it cause of people from the chain stores would "dumpster dive" for my wholesale catalogs and undercut me with the same stuff at their stores..Grrrr. But it's not easy sometimes. If you believe in what your doin' then you can't fail. Make sure God is involved and keep your day job till things get movin is my best advice. I should mension that I havn't had my morning coffee yet so if this isn't relavent just ignore it ok?...K.

16. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I have owned and operated my business for 15 years now, seen slow times, it happens in just about all businesses at one time or another. I don't know anything about the business you're in. Maybe leave a flyer on the public ad board at a few supermarkets. Maybe car dealers need your services, perhaps you can get a steady flow of jobs from them. Good luck!

17. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I went to your website and it appears nice. You mention that you also do interior detailing? What temp is your extractor or are you even using an extractor? (You mention a steam cleaner). With your experience with buffing, have you considered traveling to the independent used car dealers (I are one) and offering a mobile detail? or even to the general public? Are you detail oriented, can you paint the wheelwells, etc...? I pay $70.00 a vehicle up here in Ohio.

PS I agree, this has been the toughest year of my career, Remember that come election time.

18. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    Stumpknocker,
    maybe I can help. I own a painting and general contracting company and have a good non-compete clause that I'll let you have. Maybe the companies will be more apt to hire you if they know they have some protection from you walking off with their clients and/or other employees. It won't prevent you from working self employed, but it will prevent you (unless you want to get sued) from 1.Promoting/selling your own service, when your on the clock, to any of their clients, 2. stealing their employees and clients, and 3. making public any private knowledge about the company (billing, operating procedures etc.)

If you think it may help just PM me your email and I'll send it to you in a word document. The thing is really good (had a lawyer do it and spent a good deal of time perfecting it).

I don't know how things are in KY but here in MD painting REALLY slows down for the winter months. I'm like a squirrel in winter but this year I don't have a stash to live off so I'm a bit bent this year too!

19. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    Glenn,

When I started in business I worked 3 jobs, one at night and one MWF to fill the gaps in my schedule and keep myself afloat. Last year I had to borrow 150K to keep myself afloat (the lawyer said I was a fool for not just going bankrupt but that would have meant my vendors not getting paid and I'm not that kind of guy)

Bottom line, it's tough when you start and there's probly going to be some good sized bumps in years to come. Hang in there, creatively market your service any way you can, get friendly with your clients and ask them for references (tell them your starting out, they'll be sympathetic) and if need be, work a second job with flexible hours. Good luck.

20. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    Do some fliers you can print them off on your comp.Pass them out to all trucking co,s. (retired trucker 36 years here) Go to the truck stop,s and get you a cb and talk to the truckers advertise on the radio tom clean there trucks might get 5 or 10 trucks a day ,,saturday,s are a plus at a truck stop the one,s that dont make it home for the weekend are staying there for the weekend (so will want truck washed, buffed out etc.) , if you have a little cash that you can turn loose of try putting a small ad on the radio,They run spec,s sometimes. something like 100.00 for a 15 sec, spot for a month or something like that. I also owned a bait and tackle shop to and had to come up with all kinds of things to get custermers to come in. Hope this helps you Good luck