HELP! Any good fishing holes near Easley???

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by superlite17, Jun 12, 2008.

1. superlite17

superlite17 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hello all and thanks for the help. I just moved back to SC from La where I did some GREAT Catfishing but have had no luck here in the upstate. Tried Hartwell and the Saluda River below the dam on Saluda dam Rd... Could any of you put me on a decent spot?

Thanks - Rod

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've caught a few nice channel cats out of Easley Saluda Dam. When you climb down walk down past the house on the right, there is a boat there on the ground. Follow that down until you see a fence, it might have a sign on it. I caught some nice ones in that area on small bass and carp.

Hartwell @ 12-mile park/landing has some easy bank access to fish around also. I tried during winter but didn't get much. There is also a bridge down the road, I think its the 133 bridge, I've caught fish there also.

Any bait can work in a given night. I usually catch bream/herring/shade , both fresh cut and alive will work.

Let me know how ya do...good luck

-Jim-

Ps Having a good Hartwell map will help you out a lot...its a pretty big lake.

3. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    With a good map of Hartwell and with the lake being down so low, you shouldn't have a problem finding some decent spots. Like Jimmy said, Twelve mile gives you alot of access. Also, Martin's creek, Seneca Creek and Twin Lakes are decent areas. If you are going down the road that Twin Lakes is on, there are many trails on the right side of the road that head down to the lake and from there you can walk to all kind of places. Good luck!!

4. superlite17

superlite17 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hello all, and thank you. About Hartwell... is it the best Catfishin around these parts? Shoot, I have even gone to two PAY ponds and did not catch anything over 1lb

5. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC Rod.
    Well that depends on how far you want to travel, what type of catfish and wether your looking for eating size or looking for the big boys? Hartwell is probably the closest for all around fishing and it does have some monsters in it. If your looking for some eating size than Saluda is probably the closest. If your not afraid of a drive then santee is the best catfishing in the state.

Which pay lakes have you been to? Cannons has some nice sized cats in it (I personally have caught several 40lbers and I cant begin to count how many in the 20-40 lbs range and I have seen larger ones than that being caught), although it can be crowded on carp tournament nights. I will fish it from time to time when the freezer is low and/or not having much luck anywhere else. If you want to catch the big ones then you have to get your bait out in the middle of the larger pond (as close to the dividing wire, the longest one, as possible without going over it). I use 20 lb test line with a 6/0 circle hook and one of those rod holders from walmart that you can attach to a 2x4 (attach it to one of the benches) with thumb screw. The reason you need the rod holder is because with the circle hooks you want the catfish to double over the pole before you even touch it. Cut bait or shrimp (for blues) and live blue gill (for flatheads) are the better baits out there. They sometimes have frozen cut bream for sale as bait or catch your own by fishing the edges with redworms.
    Hope this helps.

6. superlite17

superlite17 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thank you greatly. Cannons... is that the one in Anderson near the Jocky Lot?

7. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    actually cannon's is in greer. they are listed in the phone book. good luck fishing and let us know how it went.