Help/Advice on putting up a pool.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfishjohn, Jun 3, 2006.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I was wondering if anybody has one of these(or similar) 15'x48" metal frame swimming pools and how hard they are to put up.Also how hard the prep is.The place I'm gonna put it is pretty close to level,maybe a little bit of leveling.But I was wondering how much sand and what else to do before I actually buy it.I'll put a link up to the pool that were buying.Thanks to all,I've never done this before so I was wondering what I'm getting in to.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4634030

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    The most important thing is to set it up on ground that is as close to level as you can possibly get it. If you start off with level ground you will save yourself a ton of headaches.

3. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    got one of those ...setup was not too hard ...just time consuming...as for leveling we got 10 large bags of sand and used what was left to make a sand box for the kids

4. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    ohh ....and go ahead and let whoever is going to fill the pool up with water a date to come out...we had ours set up on one day and filled the next

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    One thing I do recomend too is to kill the grass under it and lay a plastic liner then put sand over that to level the ground. After that its just all sweat blood and tears lol. Some ca be easy and others hard to setup.

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Best advice I can give ya is send it to me and I'll get it up and send you pic's with detailed instructions. :big_smile:

I think those kits come with best advice instructions.
    Follow then to the T and should be ok. Maybe talk to a pool place about it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have seen that pool at Sam's store. We was thinking about getting one of those 18' round pools , 48" deep that raise up while filling with water. Because I have helped a neighbor put up above ground 20' round pool and it kicked our butt . Mostly trying to level the hard ground. Ground does need to be level for best result. My ground is hard and the way I was think ing about doing it might be a good ideal. I'm also tight on money so we might not get it but Texas is hot and heat gets to me now days cause of past/present problems. Thought it would be nice to get in after yard work etc.

Anyway, I was going to ask a pool place but my thoughts was. Level ground best you can. Cause of rocks etc. I was thinking of building a wooden 2x6 form/frame big enough for pool to fit inside. Fill with maybe 4" to 6" sand. Sand is easy to level and gives a softer pad. Not sure if we can spring for that much expense
    at this time but if I sale boat, maybe. I dont like to do a job but one time, right the first time. If I can. Doesn't always work that way for me. LOL.

Good luck with it.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for the ideas guys.I was just outside looking at the ground and the place where It'll be is the most looking level place in the yard.I'm sure It'll need some levelling but not much.I was curious If I can just put a tarp down first on the grass(as mutt said) and then make a nice level base with sand.If I do have to dig any It won't be too much.I like the idea of the frame to put the sand in,but with all I'll be buying money will be short.I think I'm gonna give it a shot,anybody wanna help?I'll supply all the beer you can drink! LOL!

8. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    FREE BEER.....i'm on the next flight.....lol

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    LMAO! thats the only way to get the people I know to do anything!!!

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Some types of grass (such as nut grass) will grow Up through the tarp and the bottom of the pool.You may very well need to treat your ground,along with using a tarp,black plastic,etc.Check with your local agricultural department.It may well save you a mess.peewee-williams

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for the advice,but with the 2 dogs in the yard,our grass don't stand a chance.I'm hoping with the tarp and the sand that'll take care of that part of the grass.The grass back there is easily killed,everywhere Harley(our BIG rott) does his business ends up dying anyway.We have several places that we just stopped trying to grow grass.

12. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
  13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Phil,
    I like that one better also,my main concern is my dogs that are in the yard as well.Harley(my rott) is approx. 180lbs,give or take a few(mostly give),and Maggie(half rott) is abt 70+ lbs.They are both scared of water but I'm afraid that they may put a hole in the pool.The main reason I was going with the metal one is because of them.If I knew how heavy duty the pool is I may go with it.I do like it because its bigger for the same price.
    If anyone has this pool and animals around it,let me know how sturdy it is!!!
    Thanks!!!

14. reel pleasure

reel pleasure New Member

State:
    New jersey
    dunno bout yer pool,but can help save ya money.

once its up n runnin,you can usually take a sample of your water and get it tested at a local pool shop for free.
    They will tell ya esxactly what is needed in the water.
    DO NOT buy anything there,simply get the water tested.

you will need stabilizer to help the ph and chlorine stay in the pool.That should last 2-3 years.Wally werld or even local hardware stores sell chlorine tablets 3 inch,ya want a bucket of them and possibly a jug of liquid chlorine.I like to add liquid chlorine when opening and closing the pool.It is very quick in getting chlorine dispensed throughout but burns off very quick in sunlight.
    I also like to get a rubby ducky or other similair floting container to hold the chlorine tablets,fill that sucker up and let it float.Be sure to puncture a few holes in the canister to let the chlorine leek out.
    that should last about a couple weeks unless its really hot n sunny out.
    Nexst is PH,i like to let mine go on the high side,they sell lil test kits at any place that sells pool supplies.Add four-five drops and it should turn purple,i think 6-7 ppm's is recommended but like i stated i like it just above or darker then what they recommend.Alot of people think chlorine makes the water crystal clear but its really the ph level.
    Also algacide,you'll need that at start up,and maybe twice during the summer,and again at closing.
    Yes yes,they recomend yta use it each week or every five days,phhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooooooooooeyyyyyyyyyy
    Jug at opening,jug at closing and a jug to be used sparingly during the summer.

So once ya get the stabilizer yer set,add chlorine and ph and bring them to proper levels,Alkalinity is a waste of money.I know they will tell you it helps protect the parts on the filter and this n that,but i had my pool runnin for the past 10 years and no problems.

another good tip;
    when opening the pool,the first time ya vacum for the season,set the filter under waste!
    this will help keep it clean,be sure to have water added to ppol to keep the level right.
    then,and also after each time ya vacum,be sure to set the filter on back wash to clean out the sand in the filter.There will likely be a clear lookin shot glass on there.run on back wash till the water in the glass in clear.Then run it on rinse for about 3-5 seconds to help setttle the sand back down.
    I run mine all summer long,some think by turning it off during the day and runnin only at night ya save money on electric and chlorine costs.
    Thats why i use a rubby ducky to hold the chlorine and i i don't think ya gonna save that much on electric by doing that.Plus,i tend to forget to turn the filter back on or off.

Good luck with ya new pool and if ya need any help along the way,just ask!

15. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    A 180lb dog. LMAO Dang that is a big dog. Can he/she move. LOL.
    Every couple years I buy one of those kid pools, guess its bout 6' round or so. I keep it filled in summer time cause it get's hot and dry here. I even have a fan on back porch for my dogs when we are gone, it does get very hot here.. Might try that cause a dog will want to join in on fun. My dogs get in an out of little pool all summer. Sometimes they just get in an lay for a while, plus if their drinking water runs dry, they can drink form the small pool. I change water out when needed. This year the price has almost tripled on those little Cheap pools.. Aint cheap anymore, LOL.

BTW, the pool Phil put up is what I was looking at. Mostly for granddaughter. Yea that's a good excuse to get one. Instead of me cooling off after mowing yard and my wife and I taking a midnight dip. LOL. In past , I would head to lake lot. Lake swimming, from bank and boat, plus they have too huge pools there also that I didn't use much cause we like lake better, but cant afford that any more.

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    View attachment 10159

View attachment 10160
    Dano,
    yep he's a hoss.He don't run,or too much for that matter.My mother-in-law took him last year and had him weighed on truck scales,he was 174lbs then.A lot of people say he's the biggest dog they've seen,but he's a big baby.Well to strangers he's not,but he's a good tempered dog.My other one(half rott) is a lot meaner than him and not even half his size.I'll try to put a cpl pics of them If I can.
    The pics don't do him justice,he's a lot bigger in person.