Help a new guy out!---Richmond KY

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Mitch2388, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Mitch2388

Mitch2388 New Member

State:
    Inwood, West Vi
    Hi all, I got hooked on catfishing last November, but I'm still new to the sport (big time salt-water guy, but land locked at the moment :sad2:). I've been hitting up Lake Reba near Richmond quite a bit, but without much luck, (although I did manage to hook up with a channel cat that was about 10 lbs., but the line on my rod was old, and i fought him a little bit to hard). I was wondering if anyone could give me advice about Lake Reba, and about catfishing during April in general. I have been using chicken liver in about 20 feet of water with little luck (small guys keep tearing my bait apart). I hooked up with that large one in the same area on liver, but other than that no luck with the exception of annoying half pound fish.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mitch Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Someone will chime in from your area on the lake question. I look forward to reading your post.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

3. slippedcork

slippedcork New Member

State:
    Marion Co Kentucky
    Wish I could help mitch but I dont know anything about that lake. April is an excellent month to catch alot of catfish though.

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Welcome to the BOC. As for Lake Reba I can't help with particulars. You might want to try live or fresh cut bait for the bigger fish. The 1/2 #ers wont bother you as bad.Chicken livers attract the little fellows as well as bluegills.

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Hey Mitch, there got ya working over at the BG Depot?

I lived down there(irvine rd) for a couple of years, hit the KY river you will be much happier.

6. shadchucker

shadchucker New Member

State:
    indiana
    welcome to the boc. i would try to find out what forage there is in the lake then use that ie. shad, suckers, creek chubs, carp, blue gills. check your local laws before fish live bait.

7. Mitch2388

Mitch2388 New Member

State:
    Inwood, West Vi
    thanks everyone, definitly happy I found this website.....amazing forum and everyone seems very freindly (one of the reasons why i like Kentucky better than Northern VA). Just one question about this month....how deep should I fish?...I know that shallower water will likely produce cats during May, but will fishing bait a few feet off the bottom in the deep parts of the lake produce any fish? What areas of the lake should i try?Also: is late afternoon until nightime the best time to go this time of year?

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Late afternoon till night time is a good time if that's what your schedule will allow. I would think it's the preferred time at this time of year. Ya can't catch them from the couch Bro!!! Try fishing an area near a feeder stream on the shallow end of the lake. I was just looking at the Ky Fishing and Boating guide and it says shad are prohibited on Lake Reba. So stick with bluegill, creek chubs night crawlers or what you can catch out of the lake for bait. Like Danzig posted ya might want to try the Ky River also, there are some good fish in the Ky. River.
    Lance lives around the Richmond area, he may chime in with his knowledge of the area.

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Mitch.

10. rogers7

rogers7 Member

State:
    Stanton, KY
    You can catch channels in the back left or around the island in the upper end. Bluegills off the 'ol road walkway for cut bait. They use to lock the gates I believe at 10 pm.

May want to try Wilagreen Lake. I heard it has good cats, but never fished it myself. Rumored to have some blue cats, not sure if that is true or not. They have some cat pic's in thier office.

Best bet for a big one is in the KY River. Not for sure of ramps in Richmond, maybe by the clay ferry area. In Winchester there are 2 ramps close....the one at Boonesboro park below Lock 10 and one about 1/2 mile above the lock that has a fee ($2 ?????). Can goto Irvine and put in at the Bridge or there is another one outside of Ravenna by the VFW that is free (better stretch of river).

11. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Mitch I will pm you when I get a chance I live @ Clays Ferry (north Richmond ) We will work on getting some fishing going . The river is the place to be imo I have fished Reba and Willgreen w/out much results .

12. MoonShine61

MoonShine61 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    try lake linville in mt vernon.its full of channels and has a few blues in it.