hello there

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by westvirginiacatfish, Jan 31, 2009.

1. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I miss the Pennsylvania fishing:sad2:.I was wandering if any of you guy's fish Lake Wilhelm,Pymatuning,Shenango Reservoir,and so on. A lot of these places are my old stomping grounds so to speak. Just wandering what the fishing was like at some of these places now. I used to live on a farm on the outside of Cochranton,Pa....Used to hunt ducks on Geneva Swamp and Wilhelm. Man I really miss Pa Wish I BACK UP THERE......:wink:

2. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I fish all of those places alot. The fishing I think is greater than ever right now. Shenago cat bite is really strong, one of my favorite lakes

3. westvirginiacatfish

State:
    Ronceverte
    I fished Shenango alot when I lived up there. There are some big cats in there. If I can get the time this spring or summer I might head up that way and fish some of my old spots.:cool2::wink:.. Do you fish at Moraine State park any?

4. westvirginiacatfish

State:
    Ronceverte
    Also if you fish for trout there's a little honey hole in Sandy Lake at the bridge by the feed mill I used to work at. Its under the bridge its a pretty deep hole. I had my best luck there at night with minnows on a bobber.:cool2:

5. catfish chaser

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Moraine is the lake I fish the most. I've caught several Channels in the 10+ range. I live to fish Muddy Creek up there that comes off the Dam, Caught 3 muskys out of that little creek and several nice cats

6. catfish chaser

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I've never fished at Sandy Lake before. I've drove by it alot and wondered if it was any good. Is there any cats in there??

7. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Ive hunted almost all those lakes for geese and ducks but only fished Wilhelm, Pymatuning and Arthur. But none of em specifically for cats. I did catch a pretty good channel, prolly 25-26" while early season goose hunting 2 years ago right across from the upper 528 launch at Arthur. We usually take a pole along in the early season, and he hit a nightcrawler. Managed to wrap up 3 or 4 decoy cords before I got him in. Gave the spread a nice lifelike look though:smile2:

8. westvirginiacatfish

State:
    Ronceverte
    It's a really good spot for trout. Never caught any cats there. I have caught bluegil,suckers,and a lot of chubs out of it. I would usually start at the dam at Wilhelm and work my way down to the bridge in Sandy Lake. Also if turn onto the road there at the bridge it will take you to the lake. There is a bait shop there if you stop in there and talk to the old man he will tell where some of the best fishing is on the lake. I used to get all my bait there.

9. catfish chaser

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I'm going to have to give that area a try this year thanks

10. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I used to live within 1/2 hour of shenango and fell head over heels in love. It was a GREAT lake! with many different species and a great catfish population.

somehow I'll retire there:wink::wink:

Did you ever catch strippers?- that was fun. and thats the kind of place it was. you could mess with catfish, or bump into crappies or have a big screaming fight with a stripper! it paid to fish with something like a minnow; that appealed to every kind of fish.

struggled harder with morraine, and got skunked too much.

You should come back; last year a made a 100mile trip (one way) to fish Shenango, the glory days are still going on over there!

11. westvirginiacatfish

State:
    Ronceverte
    I was thinking of maybe heading back up that way this spring or summer. I also seen where you folks are trying to have a gathering at Raystown I would like to come to that if you can get it going. It's like a 6 1/2 drive for me but I would be there.:cool2: I have been trying to get my wife to move back to Pennsylvania for the last two years. My buddy has two houses in Grove City and said we could rent one of them. She just wont bite. But if I keep at it maybe one day you just never know.

12. catfish chaser

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    we would be glad tohave you if you want to make the trip up to the gathering. Also if you come up th fish shenago this year let me know, if i'm free i'll meet you up there

13. westvirginiacatfish

State:
    Ronceverte
    You can count me in on the gathering I will be there.:cool2:..Also I would love to fish Shenango again so I will let you know when I can get up that way. Thanks for the invite.:cool2:

14. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    yep count me in!

I would love to fish the might shenango with a few knowledgeable BOC brothers. just out of curiousity- where did you guys like the best for cats? golden, the beach, the bridge at clark?

myself, one of the nicer cats I saw come out of that was in the early spring Rt846 bridge... after a while, the cats seemed to head towards deeper water. Never fished the main arm much, though.

any hints would be appreciated, shenango is now far enough to be difficult ; however I will be back from time to time.

15. westvirginiacatfish

State:
    Ronceverte
    I always seemed to have pretty good luck at the bridge at clark. Caught some pretty nice cats there.

16. catfish chaser

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    A place I like to go after dark when the boat traffic goes down is right in front of the marina. Caught several huge ones there last year