Hello PA, and Flathead?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by jconna, Apr 24, 2008.

1. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Hey All.....Have been on this site for a while now but have mainly been corresponding with people gaining info on a Lower James river trip I was planning. This site and it's people are really fantastic and it turned into a really great trip. Trips over (unfortunately) and I wanted to say hello to the fellow PA fisherman. I fish mainly around the Harrisburg area and do pretty well for Channels, but was looking to get into the flatheads this year in the hopes of getting a little bigger catches. All catch and release but bigger = more fun. :big_smile_2: I've done some looking on here and have some general info but I'm not really sure how far down river from here that I need to go to start getting into them. I've never really fished much farther down than York Haven and I don't beleive they're up that far yet. Course I never used bait that would entice them either. I don't really have any access to bleugill, etc....so I'd probably be fishing whatever garbage fish I can turn up in the susky/Juniata. Any info would be appreciated and to anyone already out there....Good luck, be safe, and have fun!

Jeff

2. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I fish the Mon so I can`t help you out but Blacky and the eastern cat men should be able to.

3. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    a legal smallmouth would do just fine:wink:

4. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I use a variety of baits I caught one flathead in blue marsh lake near reading,pa I fish the schuylkill river too. I use shrimp chicken livers cut fish nightcrawlers if a fish is hungry it'll grab just about anything from my experiences. Well good luck to you!

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Jeff - There has to be a pond, lake or stream somewhere near you that you can catch some Bluegill, Suckers, Chubs, etc. Anything live in the 4" to 10" size range is good Flathead bait!

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Bluegills, Bluegills, Bluegills!

7. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    Hey jeff , The flattys are from york haven down river. All the way past holtwood as far down as the conawingo.You can fish at the fallmouth access. Allthough the fishing pressure is getting ridiculous there:angry:. On the up side the habitat is exeptional I know there is plenty of monsters resideing there.If you fish there plan on looseing ALOT! of tackle and, anchors.I fed that area 4 anchors so far:sad2:. Its stuck city

Attached Files:

8. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks All.....Believe it or not, I actually caught one on Friday. First one I've seen in my life and it was in the area around City Island. All that I can figure is that someone transported it to the area. Was a little over 2 foot and surprised the heck out of me when I got it up to the boat. Actually caught in on chicken livers which I thought was near impossible, but there it was. I certainly don't expect to catch many (or any more) in this area for awhile, but thought it was really cool getting that one. What timing....I start a post about it, and catch one a few days later. Anyway....Figured I'd let everyone know, and I hope there are many more to come over the summer. Not sure if any they're any good or not, but my uncle was fishing NC and pulled in a few fallfish. I kept a few and froze them for cutbait later. Not sure if anyone has tried them in the past, but it's better than chicken livers I guess. I don't think I could bring myself to using a smallmouth but I appreciate any opinions.

9. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    You know, I don't want to give a false report and am not quite so sure about the flathead any more. I was looking at some of the channel cats Joe has in the river fishing section and am now a bit hesitant to say for sure. I was positive on Friday (thought I was) anyway. It's head really flattened out and appeared wide to me vs the channels I've caught, but after looking at Joe's, they also appear a little flat to me. Regardless, I think I'll retract my flathead catch for now since I'm no longer sure, and will pay more attention to the bottom lip coming out farther than the top for now on. Will try and remember to carry my camera with me for now on also. Would love to be be able to take another good look at it right now.

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Jeff - The easiest way to tell them apart is the tail. Flatheads have a sqare tail while Channels are deeply forked. The coloration is also much different with the Flatheads being a dark brown color and the Channels mostly silverish. I wish you took a pic and we could solve the mystery :wink:!

11. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    That's another thing....I have caught alot of channels over the last year or so and I always thought the color was much more silverish with some spots, etc. They lost some as they got bigger but it was still somewhat noticable. This one was def dark brown and I swore it was a flathead. Looked nothing like the channels that I have caught. What threw me are the pics that Joe has of channels? in the River fishing section. Main Stem Susquehanna River Fishing 08. They def don't have the coloration of what I' ve come to expect, but I do see the forked tails. Still confused......Will keep an eye out for those tails also. Thanks Scott

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77600

12. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    Jeff sometimes as a channell ages it looses the distinked forked tail.You can't go wrong lookin at its bottom lip. If it pertrudes past the upper lip its a flathead.If the upper lip pertrudes past the lower its a channell.There are not many flathead above yorkhaven dam.You would be very lucky to get one