hello new guy + oxygen and thermoclines

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by cattinhoosier, Jul 16, 2008.

1. cattinhoosier

cattinhoosier New Member

State:
    indiana
    Hello everyone long time viewer first time posting. First off I'd like to say this is a great site with great info and knowledgable people. I'm a family guy with limited time but when I'm not outdoors I'm dreaming about it. This place is good medicine. I fish some small lakes in my area in southern indiana less then 200 acres. Recently the channel cat fishing has been slow. I have tried the old hot spots with not much luck and I'm looking for something different that might work. I tend to fish shallow water but I'm looking for fish deeper. I have read that below the thermocline the oxygen level is to low for fish this time of year, is this true? The lakes are only 35 ft deep is fishing the deepest water a waste of time if so what is the best way to find the thermocline. Does a lake this size have this problem please help

2. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    try various sepths using a slip bobber fishing down about 6 feet, make sure you make long casts, something on land could spook the fish when your going that close to surface

that is just what works for me

3. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
  4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the Boc this site is full of good info and great people. You will have an answer shortly. Good luck fishing

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC David.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    David welcome to the BOC,from So. Illinois.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

7. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC David. Are you sure the slowdown wasnt coz of the spawn?

8. cattinhoosier

cattinhoosier New Member

State:
    indiana
    Thanks bear to my knowledge the catfish are coming out of the spawn in my area. In mid june we saw some spawning activity and a local diehard says it should be over. Maybe I should try some cigarettes:smile2:

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    welcome to the boc david, from amarillo, tx! keep on fishin, you'll get em cornered before too long!