Hello Nebraskans!

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by playin4funami, Nov 23, 2009.

1. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    hello out there,where's everyone at? you lurkers need to post! I think we lost Frank to the HI forum:smile2::smile2:.

let's liven this place up a little,who's been fishing,how about hunting? Is your gear put away already or are you still ready to fish or waiting on ice?

Everybody must be hibernating!:smile2::smile2:

2. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I'm here....I got some family headed out this way from Knoxville TN....and we got a trip to monroe power station planned and then a bird hunt up in the sandhills on my buddy's land.....all planned on turkey day and the day after....

I havn't been fishing much....but when the flatheads stop bitting whats the point????

3. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Maybe Frank went to church:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

I went to the salvage yard yesterday in search of wheel weights. It was tough but I managed to get about 10 lbs of lead but it cost $2 to get in and I was there for probably 2-1/2 hours. But at least the lead will be put to use. No fishing the water is too damn cold.

4. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    well I can't say that I've been getting much done either,just bored and lazy. gonna do some work in the garage here soon,but I've been saying that for awhile and am still putting it off. trying to not make any more sinkers,cause every time I go out there I start doing something and end up making sinkers,gotta wait till the pour day!!

thought about trying a fishing trip, but knowing things are gonna be slow to none doesn't really encourage me much. might get lucky and hook something though. who knows? now I just gotta find a free day to go where I'm not needed somewhere else.

5. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    nice:smile2::smile2:........well I went to get some more lead from the scrap yard today and found out they are no longer selling it.....well I have some that I havn't picked up yet I said....well long story short they gave me the cash amount back and said they will no longer be selling lead unless you buy 500 pounds or more....:angry: well glad I got ahold of a plummer.....

Don are you getting your lead from hastings???? because thats the only other place I've been able to get it....I can't remember the name but it's right off burlingtion by the underpass

6. NebraskaWalleye

NebraskaWalleye New Member

State:
    Viola Kansas
    how much were they wanting for 500lbs of it?

7. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    the scrapyard off burlington is "city iron and metal" but I use another scrap yard east of town "J+M steel" the guy who runs it is a great guy,no free stuff but he usually will hook me up with whatever I want. I don't understand why they wouldn't give you your stuff in trade,must have been that time of the month. yeah I'm sure we'll have a supply of lead,I've been melting down free wheel weights into bricks for later use,what a pain in the butt compared to lead pipe! all that junk in it. You know they might have cringed when you said you had X amount of lead still there because the price jumped up to almost double here lately and they would have lost a couple bucks. don't know. seems I can always get some when I'm not looking for any,but when I'm low on supplys nobody has any or they want too much for it. I'll look around some more and just keep stacking it up after it's cleaned. Till we make sinkers that is!

8. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    well they offered me the cash back and well you know me....:smile2: and I still have a lot of lead from the 1st trip so I wasn't gonna complain....

the lady in the office did say lead is going back up....she didn't say how much tho....I didn't ask the price for 500.00 pounds....and with metal they usually don't give a bulk discount so I would figure .50 to .75 per pound....but I'm not to worried....I've been cleaning lead and pourning into a large muffen pan for easy melting when I need em...

9. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    with as much as ya'll are talkin lead makes me think ya'll lose ALOT of it.. then again its gotta be cheaper to make your weights then buy them but i dont have the lead or the molds let alone a decent place to do it so until i do i gotta settle for not loseing what i buy so i just fish with stronger line and dont snag up LOL.

as for fishin and huntin i go out every monday night that i get the chance and the water is cold but the nice channels are still biting. i aint made it out for archery season to busy to practice and aint gonna waste my time or the deers with a bad shot.. rifle season had its ups and downs no good shots on what bucks we did see so mike shot this nice big doe.. put the begining of the trap line out yesterday and got nothing last night so... guess ill go to work tonight since the big lotto numbers aint been hittin either.

Attached Files:

10. W. A. Sted

W. A. Sted New Member

State:
    NE - Omaha
    Went cattin last night, pretty slow, landed 2, no real size to either of them.

I am 100% waiting on ice, but taking what I can get in the meantime.

11. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    One of the biggest reasons I ever started making my own weights is because I started taking my son fishing when he was about 5 years old and we all know how many times kids will get snagged. My dad worked for the gas and water utility and had occasional access to lead pipes when he would run into a plummer so he gave it to me. Most of the lakes around here have had shore line work done and now there are large rocks everywhere to get snagged in. One of my trips to LOZ I bought a bag of 3 oz bank sinkers with 4 in the bag and I paid $2.99 + tax and I lost them all in 1 day.:angry: All of the serious catfishermen I've seen down there had their own homemade weights. I plan on making my own weights until they outlaw lead then I'm going to steal lugnuts off of game & parks vehicles and use them as slip weights.:smile2:

12. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska

13. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I've personally seen Frank toss out three poles ,wait awhile and then have all of them snagged and broke off more than once in the canal,I'll bet that one day he lost around 20 to 25 sinkers, multipy that by a 3 or 4 oz weight and Frank needs alot of lead!

We don't need to discuss how much lead I've left up there,but lets just say it's more than a pound or two.

I've gotta get some more molds for my collection,can't decide which two to get though, I've been looking at the flat bank sinker molds,which I've never used but hear they work well as both a river sinker and traditional bank sinker,also was looking at the regular old river sinker with the brass eye in the disk shape,but they take a little more time to place the eyelets in when pouring,and was considering getting a bottom bouncer rig mold which is also a time comsuming pouring mold but worth alot because you can make a bottom bouncer weight or a drifting no snag style weight with the same mold,also would have to buy a wire bender and accesories.

14. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    i started using flatbank for one reason... 3 way rigs... use a lighter line to the weight that way when you do snag you loose the weight and not the hook.. can't make your own hooks... i love the flatbanks almost if not more than the no rolls.. they are alot esier to make since you don't have to put a pin in them just pour the lead in and take the weight out

15. bigmikeg

bigmikeg New Member

State:
    nebraska
    let me know if your looking for something custom i got this web site http://shawncollinscustoms.com/ kind of high priced but good work.. i also made some of my own molds also

16. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    yea the canal is a tough place to fish....and the parts I fish everybody else would say is un-fishable....when ever they drain the water I plan on getting some lead back :big_smile: Don remember that spot where we had about 1-2 foot area to cast into....I never got a snag there tho...go figure

on another note Don I was in hastings today and lead is only .40 cents a pound....not to bad so I'm back in business....and I'm getting a flatbank do-it mold it's 3,4,5 oz but thats big enuff for me....from cabela's the product number is IK-315992....check it out and let me know what you think

17. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Be careful what you put up for links they are supposed to be approved by the BOC. Just a heads up in case they delete your post.

18. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    frank I was looking at that exact one,guess I won't get it if you are:big_smile:,I'll borrow yours! Have your company showed up yet? I sent ya a pm yesterday but it must be another one that got lost in the mail,nothing important anyway. just gabbing! I was thinking about running out to Kearney Cabelas next week,if you havn't ordered already,might just pick one up if they have one on the shelf.

19. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    cool lets make a trip out of it....I called they have 3 on the shelves....I was just gonna drive up and grab it anyways might as well have good company...

I wish I could make it on black friday but I got plans...lets shoot for monday or whenever works for you...

they had a bank sinker mold at bass pro...but it was not flat and they wanted 40.00 bucks for it....:tounge_out: i think the flat bank mold is the golden ticket for me....I'll problally make up 50 pounds of em:big_smile:

20. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Monday sounds like a winner,you wanna meet me in Aurora? I'll call you on Sunday evening if I can remember,if I don't call by 8 pm call me my phone sort of works now,I ca make and recieve calls fine,now