Hello is there anybody in here?

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by Cattitude, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    Came over here to check out the Maryland side of the board. Not seeing many people posting. I just got my Maryland license and started, I live in Pa. on close to the line. Wanted to know how you guys are making out down there. I hit the Potmac last night and we got a few. We were at four locks. Planning on doing some fishing near and around that area. Any help or tips on where would be helpfull....Thanks in advance... and have fun out there!

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Ken welcome to the BOC from n.c.

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC from NE Oklahoma

4. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    Thanks for the welcome, I got some family down in NC. Been there a few times. They live near the Dismal swamp. Next time I get there I'll have to give it a shot.

5. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    Thanks for the welcome.

6. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    just us rednecks who catfish, LOL!! hey ken. Maryland is usually pretty quiet, but I still look in from time to time because I do a lot of fishing in Maryland.

7. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    I figured since I now have the maryland license also I would check out this side too. Of course the guy I got my license off of at wal-mart says he sees twice as many pa people buying than maryland.

8. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    he's probably right on that. Specially in our immediate area. Personally I enjoy the river fishing over the lakes and streams, the Potomac is close and is a good fishery for a lot of species. For me to fish Pa, I'm looking at least 1 to 2 hr drive to the susky, which I am starting to fish more. Channels on the upper Potomac, and the big Blues on the lower potomac.

9. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    One of the guys I go fishing with fished the suskie alot till his divorce and the loss of his boat. He has a maryland ID so me and my other freind went ahead and got maryland licenses. Figured we would try to figure the potomac out because it's closer. Should be fun to figure out. I am limeted on how long I can make it when we go out so the closer drive is better for us. They will not let me get in over my head. But I have good days and bad days. I have just started feeling a bit better now they want to cut me open again so I'm going to get as much fishing in as possiable. We went trout fishing yesterday morning at orrtanna and each caught our limit. With the rain this weekend coming It might be a bit rough down there for us might just have to go local for trout. Fishing is fishing but I sure love hooking up on those big cats. I was wondering about the consumption report for the potomac. We do eat what we catch. I'm not worried about the state stocked trout but I'm not sure about the larger rivers and the fish that have been in there awhile. Being disabled every little bit helps out.

10. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    far as the lower potomac and some of the upper potomac there is restrictions on what you should eat. I don't eat anything from the lower potomac.... Specially after seeing some of the stuff floating and the reports of waste water treatment plants having overflows of raw sewage at times.

Now far as the upper potomac, There is still some advisories, But personally after 30+ years of eating channels, eels and turtles from up here I haven't had any problems yet. I might get a couple messes of eater cats a year or an occasional turtle and fix up but I'm not eating them every week. I haven't checked lately, but I think the last report was moderate so many lbs per week or month or any species you catch from the upper part.

You can probably go to MD DNR Website and check for any advisories. They usually list them on there somewhere, just to be safe. There is a lot of good info on the DNR's website also, from places to fish, weekly reports from regular anglers, you name it.

11. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    Thanks that will help.

12. deerhunter3161

deerhunter3161 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Hi ther new blood is always great . Too bad here about the polution in your river we don't have to much of that unless you go and fish the eastside of the state west side of are state isn't to bad and better
    Scott

13. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    Welcome to the BOC and as for the crap in the rivers it's seems it in the larger streams in spots, most of the smaller streams lakes and rezs are fine.

14. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I check in here from time-to-time as well...I fish the Potomac every weekend and target the trophy Blue Cats. I wouldn't eat anything out of the river but there are lots of commercial guys that will sell you their catch out of it and not even blink.

Good luck with your fishing adventures.

15. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    I'll have to find a place then to go get them that I can eat my wife and kids love them.

16. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Here is some info Wv has on what you can eat. This covers Wv waters but has the Potomac at the bottom.
    http://www.wvdnr.gov/Fishing/MealAdvice.shtm

If you can get a regulations book for Wv it has more info on contaminants.

17. HOGHEAD69

HOGHEAD69 New Member

State:
    MARYLAND
    Hello from Dargan Maryland ... I live about 100 yrds from the Potomac River ... But 400 ft above the river on the side of Turkey hill... Dont do as much catfishing as Id like to ,, as I live about 1/2 mile from Antietam Creek & Hagerstowns Waste plant is upstream about 6 miles,,, Was woundering if theres any catfish in this generial area left..

18. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    Welcome to the BOC. I live in Waynesboro Pa. but also have Maryland licenses. I've been searching the area for cats and talking to people on here. Everyone says Dam 4 or 5 of the Potomac. I've hit 4 locks with a few fish. Tried above dam 4 this weekend for a few but the water was up bad. We also went to Taylors landing with the same conditions. Only other places around with cats in them are all pay to fish places Cools pond in smithsburg and zetts in inwood west virginia.

19. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    A late welcome to the BOC from Ft Meade. I do alot of catfishing in the Susquehanna and Conowingo dam. You can get anything catfish wise that you are looking for there except blues unless you have a boat or you are better than me LOL. Well I dont target them and never have but I usually catch a few on accident when fishing for channels. Usually I target Flatheads. There are a few pics in my albums of a couple times out this year. Last year I joined and didnt post any pics. I regularly catch 20 pounders and up to 37 lbs so far. Very good place but once you get into the MD side of the Susquehanna flatheads are considered an invasive species and MD DNR wants them all gone and I have seen SEVERAL rockfish fishers cut the gills of very nice fish and release them to die, that and just throw them up on the bank to die. I would like to extend my horizon and try a couple new spots so if you have any of your own feel free to share the wealth lol. Conowingo is an hour and fifteen minutes from here so something closer would sure be appreciated, im open to any kind of bankfishing for cats.

20. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    I was stationed a Ft. Meade many moons ago, sad to say I did more drinking than fishing back then. I just got started fishing for cats in the area and as of yet have not had much luck. I'm told the Potomac is great but the weather has the river up too far. Gonna be close to a week before it will go down enough to find out how good it is. Good luck and have fun.