Hello, is jugging ok

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by Randy, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Randy

Randy New Member

State:
    Trinity,Texas
    Hi, I've come from TX. to Houma LA. to work and I brought the boat, but yet to go fishing. So is jug fishing legal in LOUISIANA and can I do it south of the Intercoastel canal. And a very big hello to all my new neighbor's.

2. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC and Louisiana.I know it is legal in North Louisiana, but I don't know about down there..

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Randy! I looked on the LA fishing regulation web page, and found where it listed a bunch of legal methods of taking fish, but it didn't mention jug fishing. But it didn't specifically prohibit it either. So, I would recommend that you send an e-mail to the LA Fish & Game requesting that they give you a clear answer. Be prepared to be ignored, given wishy-washy answers, etc. I had to send the same e-mail 3 times to the Arkansas F&G, and threaten to send copies to the governor and the media before they gave me a straight answer about a jug question I had.

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    welcome to the BOC . ><}}}*>

5. Bungarian

Bungarian New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have tried to figure that out myself. The regulations are vague. Someone told me you needed the $50 commercial license to use a trot line but I never heard that before.

6. Bungarian

Bungarian New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    OK I found some info on the state website. Here is the link.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/pdfs/fishing/2008_Regulations_Fishing_Regs.pdf

I cut and pasted this part.

Freshwater fish and saltwater recreational fish may be taken by means of rod, fishing pole, hook and line,
    trolling line, handline, bait casting, fly casting apparatus, by use of the devices known as yo-yos or trigger
    devices, bow and arrow, recreational wire nets and recreational slat traps, recreational hoop nets, standard
    spearing equipment used by a diver sport fishing in saltwater or freshwater when submerged in the water,
    recreational pipes, recreational buckets, recreational drums, recreational cans, recreational shrimp trawls and
    recreational crawfish nets and traps, and by no other means except a barbed or barbless spear used in
    saltwater for taking flounder. NOTE: Certain species of game fish may not be taken with some gear listed
    above. Crossbows are not a legal method.
    No person shall take or possess fish taken by means of spears, poisons, stupefying substances or devices,
    explosives, guns, tree-topping devices, electricity or any instrument or device capable of producing an
    electric current used in shocking said fish. No person shall take or possess game fish taken by means of
    snagging devices, not including bow and arrow. Catfish may be taken by means of snagging devices.
    Paddlefish, commonly called spoonbill catfish are not catfish and cannot be legally harvested by means of
    snagging. Garfish may be taken by means of spears and bows and arrows. It shall be unlawful to possess any
    of the prohibited instruments, weapons, substances or devices set out hereinabove with the intent to take fish.
    Minnows, crawfish, shrimp and other legal bait species, not including game fish, may be taken with legal cast
    nets, minnow traps, dip nets and bait seines when taken in compliance with all other laws. Legal bait species
    may be taken with bait seines with a maximum mesh size not exceeding one-quarter inch mesh bar, one-half
    inch mesh stretched and thirty feet in length. Bait seines must be operated on foot and solely by hand, without
    any pulley, mechanical device or mechanical assistance whatsoever. Dip nets may not exceed three feet in
    diameter and must be operated solely by hand, by no more than one person and without any mechanical
    assistance whatsoever.
    Bream (Lepomis spp.) may not be taken as bait for sportfishing purposes in any form of trap except at Toledo
    Bend Reservoir, where a minnow trap not exceeding 24 inches in length and having a throat no larger than
    one inch by three inches may be used to take bream for non-commercial bait purposes.

7. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Randy, welcome to the BOC.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR

As I said, trotlines and juglines aren't mentioned, one way or the other, so you need to get clarification from the Fish & Game. To be safe, I'd get it in writing, or at least in an e-mail. A warden who gives you wrong info may not be honest enough to admit his error in court.

9. Bungarian

Bungarian New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    What are recreational drums and recreational cans?

10. Randy

Randy New Member

State:
    Trinity,Texas
    I've been with the BOC since 06 when I broke my knee fallen out of a deer stand and had a lot of spare time all of a suden. But I am new to Louisiana and I shure do like it here. The people are so so nice. As soon as I git a brake I'll be down in the swamp grass gittin me some cat's I towed u so.

11. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Randy, welcome to the BOC. It is a good place to share info and lies.:0a23:

12. Shotgun Slim

Shotgun Slim New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to BOC Randy. I have learned a ton from info on here.

13. big blue 1

big blue 1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    yes, jugging is legal, we do it every weekend on the red river.

14. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    not sure about there but people jug fish here all the time

15. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    GOTTA LOVE THAT JUGGING.

16. joneugene

joneugene New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I am from Houma and we jugline up and down the intercostal just can't use them on WMA

17. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome to the BOC its good to have you aboard