Hello from Richmond

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Pantera_KY, May 13, 2008.

1. Pantera_KY

Pantera_KY New Member

State:
    KY
    Hi everybody. Looks like a pretty active forum and local too which is cool. I mostly fish a few pay lakes and farm ponds but plan on tryin the KY river pretty soon. I live in richmond which is about 30 minutes south of lexington. Hope you all are catching some big fish

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Welcome Fellow KY Brother! Good to have you aboard!!! I live about 2 hours from Lexington and I mainly fish the Ohio River and Big Sandy River.
    Fishing is starting to pick up and is gonna get better.
    We'll have to hit one of those rivers sometime! I gotta wait for 1-3 months due to another back injury.
    Keep in touch!!!

3. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    Kyle, welcome to the BOC from the far Western end of the state!

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the boc. this site is full of good info and great people. Good luck to you

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Kyle.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC Kyle its good to have you aboard if I was you when you hit kentucky river I would try catch some small blue gills, or some shad and use them for baits seems like its good bait for the catfish good luck to you.

7. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
  8. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    A big Texas welcome to ya! Check out the library.

9. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome to boc Kyle. The ky river is a good place for cats good luck and share your success with us.

10. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hello Kyle and Welcome,

Madison Co. is accross the river from where I fish. Head North on 977 out of Waco thru College Hill; 977 dead ends at the river (good place to put in, used to be a ferry there, it washed away during the flood of 78'). You'll find yourself at the junction of the Red and KY Rivers. Lock 11 is 10 mi. upstream and Lock 10 (at Boonesborough) is 14 mi. downstream; this is the 2nd longest pool on the KY River.

This is an excellent way to monitor river conditions from the web here:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ky/nwis/c...multiple_site_no,realtime_parameter_selection

(and of course this is NOT the format I've been using for over a year now, they just changed it). Anyway, you'll find the Real Time Data very informative and you'll be able to monitor both Red and KY Rivers for this section.

The wife and I have been fishing since early April; hybrid striper fishing is getting decent here now (and they're good to eat), crappie fishing has been good, just started catching cats on limblines and trotline about 2 weeks ago, had 4 nice channels yesterday, 1 flathead today (24 lb flat Fri.); bluegill and bass have been turning on, we caught about 40 gills yesterday evening for bait for the next river rise.

Hope this helps.

11. Pantera_KY

Pantera_KY New Member

State:
    KY
    Thanks everybody. I dont have a boat but several of my good friends do. I think I'll try fishing from the bank at Boonesboro this weekend unless one of them are ready to take their boat out. I have zero river fishing experience, best I can tell you just need a big weight :)

12. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    IMO, if you're gonna fish from the bank get as close to Lock 10 as you can from the beach at the park and as far out as you can get. You need a rig that's gonna keep your bait just off the bottom (use a three way swivel 1/0 or bigger). Small gill or one of those bait shop goldfish or coys or whatever they are, or large minnow, or nightcrawlers should do ok.

The KY River is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get.........

13. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    We will have to hook up and hit the river ! I live in North Madison co Clays Ferry exit . Fished Willgreen last night no luck . They told me the lake doesn't turn on till july .

14. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
  15. Pantera_KY

Pantera_KY New Member

State:
    KY
    If weather holds up I'll be there saturday night, as close to the dam as I can get. I got 2 ounce weights today at Wal-mart it was the biggest they had, if that enough?

16. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Kyle, Be prepared to learn everything you need to know about fishing and life in general!!
    Glad to have ya :big_smile:

Linda

17. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

i can't answer that question, you'll have to decide once you start fishing. What kind? Bank sinkers? I suppose you could double them up if need be, but that will probably increase the risk of getting snagged. In this area you might want to consider using a sacrifice rig for the sinkers.

There are some huge drum that are caught down there too (i caught a 25 lber on a trotline many years ago just a little downstream from there). Big buff and cats there. Also, I caught a whole lot of flatheads in the 3-6 lb range there too, probably because I was using craws for bait a lot and that's what that size flat feeds on.

18. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Welcome to the BOC.

19. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Welcome to the BOC Kyle.

20. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    howdy neighbor I live up by the boonsboro exit and I-75 will have to get together and fish the river or willgreen .