Hello, from Owenboro, Kentucky

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Kyrednecker, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Kyrednecker

Kyrednecker New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I would like to send out a Hello, and thanks to all of the fishermen that are members, and run this Forum, and website.

My hometown is Winchester, Ky, just on the outskirts of the Fort Boonesboro. I've never had the chance to fish in the Boonesboro area, but I've heard stories about some massive fish caught there.
    I now reside in Owensboro, Ky. I've been fishing now for about two years here, and sad to say that I've yet to have a nice day out on the banks.:confused2: Recently, a friend asked if I would go to his grandfathers place, and fish there. We ended up ( me, him, and his lady-friend) catching about 45 fish between us, but nothing significant; some strippers, a nice sized box turtle, and some walleye's. What I'm looking for in a fishing trip, is what I got when me and my grandfather would go pond fishing on crop farms. You know, the ponds that nobody save a minor few know about. I've yet to get that here.
    Anyhow, I hope to share a lot of fishing stories with you guys and gals, and I look forward to reading yours.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC from another KY Brother!!!!:wink::big_smile:

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
  4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Omer Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. You have the same first name as my father. Looking forward to reading your post.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

5. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I'm also from owensboro you might want to try a couple of these spots.First i'd try Newburgh dam awesome place to bank fish also Cannelton dam is a pretty good spot English Park. The Green river is also pretty close Hamiltons Ferry ,Spottsville Dam ,Calhoun Dam all with in 30 min.Hope this helps. Aaron

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Omer, welcome to the B.O.C., best catfishing community on the planet

7. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Omer, welcome to the BOC.

BIGCAT GarryEads

8. Kyrednecker

Kyrednecker New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I would like to say Thanks to all that replied. O'boro Cat hunter, I've been to the Green River Dam a few times. I've got a bad story from one of my last trips there to share in the future. The Newburg, Cannelton, and Spotsville Dam's never entered my mind. I'm not a native to Owensboro, and I don't know many fishermen here, so you will have to excuse my ignorance of the local fishing area's.

I would like to stretch out a personal hand-shake to Mickey. you father's name is the 4th that I've heard of someone else having, aside from my own. I'm a 3rd. We "Omer's" are a special breed. Hard headed, long lasting, and easy to get along with. At least I am. :wink:

I went fishing today. Nothing to report, other then me finally being able to drag a friend out to the local lakes, Carpenter, and Kingfisher. Nothing was caught, but I had some fun re-teaching my friend on how to fish with artificial bait, and fishing in general. fun fun. Almost too humid to fish on the shore though.
    Have fun guys, later.

9. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC, Omer!

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people

11. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
  12. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    welcome to the BOC ,hope you enjoy your stay here and were glad to have you , good luch fishing

13. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    welcome along ! you will find some people that fish that area . I live in Richmond and haven't done well @ boonesboro Yet ! i've caught some fish ther the last couple of years though . The news people were there the other day 27 I think. Asking if we kept any fish seems the river is to polluted to even let our kids on the bank ! I don't buy into every thing I here without solid proof though . Seems I hear that kind of stuff about every where though !Good luck :big_smile:

14. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Omer.

15. Kyrednecker

Kyrednecker New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Lance,
    As a child, I can remember asking my mother to go swimming at the river. Even then, she told me that it was too "nasty" to swim in. Personally, I've seen logs in the river that should NOT have been there. ( get me? )

As far as rumors of catching things.. I can only remember one. BIG tale. It was of a man that went snorkeling down under the bridge back in the 80's I think; he went down to the bottom and seen what he believed to be a Bettle setting on the bottom. You know, the old Volkswagon cars. When he got close enough to inspect the vehicle, he only then realized that it was a massive catfish, just setting there taking in whatever edible thing flew into his mouth. he promptly got out of the water, and has yet to set foot back in Winchester, Ky.

I laughed then, and I laugh now. Fishing in the Kentucky river near Winchester, Ky, fine. Don't eat nothing from it though. Swimming.. nope. This old booger won't do it. Speaking of which.. if you ever get a chance, try the muddycreek rd. way to the river. There are a few turns involved, so you might have to ask some locals about how to get there.. Not many know of it either. Good luck.

16. Springfield45

Springfield45 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm close to Owensboro... anyone interested in doing some fishing?