Hello everyone...

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by RonSki, Jun 28, 2007.

1. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm new to this site, and I figured I'd introduce myself. I'm just now getting the bug to catch a flathead since the waters too warm to fish for muskies. I live in Elkhart, IN but will be fishing the St. Joe (Berrien Springs section) as much as I can. I work days and quite a few weekends so free nights will be rare. But go I will, I just don't have any idea where to set up for the night. I know to look for holes and thick snags, but the section I'll be in is almost all deep, and there's just scattered trees everywhere, nothing together that jumps out at me. I'm sure if I get out there a few times I'll figure out where they're NOT at though! I guess I don't have any specific questions as I've read almost everything all of you have posted, and read every single In-Fisherman article from the last 10 years (except for the InSider one on the Joe), so I have a clue what's going on. I haven't seen too much posted on anyone fishing there either, and the ones I find are questions. Is there anybody out there that fishes there by themselves that could use a net man sometime?? ( As I'm writing this my wonderful wife just told me I'm free to fish all night this Saturday AND next Tuesday!!:big_smile:)
    Also, i was reading that you guys had an outing planned for the St. Joe (last year?) but I haven't read anything else about it so I'm assuming it didn't happen. Am I correct? Another comment I read was that the catfishing doen't pick up till July or August. I've gone though the Master Angler reports (why can't people let fish go?!!) and did notice that July put out the most fish of any month. Interestingly enough, if you really break it down, the last week of every month was significantly better than the rest of the month. I can't figure that out.

Anyway, I apologize for my rambling. When I talk fishing I usually don't stop!! But since I'll be out there soon I guess I'll be giving a report of some kind, hopefully the full moon helps me out...

Nice to uhhh, "meet " you all:wink:
    Ron Ski

2. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Welcome to the B.O.C.:big_smile:

3. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    WELCOME to the BOC!!!!! Glad to have ya!!!!

4. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Welcome 2 the BOC Ron nice avatar pic.:0a25::0a25::0a25:

5. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to BOC. from Arkansas.

6. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks guys,
    I guess I did pick something from the millions of cloudy thoughts in my mind. I wasn't "raised on the river" so I'm very careful out there. I was always taught to never go downstream from the boat ramp cause if something breaks, your in trouble. Does anyone have any apprehensions to going downstream? I'm going to have to at Berrien Springs so I'll just feel my way around, but does that really bother anyone anymore, or is my Dad just old school?? As a side note, I tried to give it a go last Saturday at the next launch down from Berrien Springs. Unfortunately, the launch was supposed to be closed from 11pm -4am, stike 1. Once I got out there, the water was so shallow I could not, no way, get more than a half mile upstream, strike 2. Then they apparently opened the gates at the dam which blew the dirtiest, darkest water I've seen in a long time along with all the sticks and limbs that go with it, I'm out!! So I spent most of the time catching 4-8 pound carp on my 2 pound crappie pole I usually use for catching bait. It was fun, but not what I had intended. So I'm going downstream from now on. I'd like to hear what the experienced catmen think about going downstream...

RonSKi

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Ron!!

8. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Ron
    Welcome to the BOC took me sometime too sign up here also, sure don’t regret it, makes you feel like your part of a family and with new friends. Peers to me you are going to be a first class poster. I am looking forward to your future posts.Luck

9. milkman

milkman New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC..From Louisiana

10. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Welcome to the BOC Ron....glad to have you as a new part of the family.

11. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ron, welcome to the BOC from Ohio!

12. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Hi Ron and welcome to the board... I've recently became interested in targeting big cats, myself... lots of good info and friendly, helpful people here!

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC!!!

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
  15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ron Welcome to the BOC.:0a22::0a25:

16. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I finally gave it a go for the first time tonight and I caught 2!!! I will give details and pictures after I get some sleep though :big_smile:

RonSki