Hello everyone and maybe need a few pointers on catching some big ones

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Matt_Clouse, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Matt_Clouse

Matt_Clouse New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    hey im a 19 year old fisherman whos grandpa got me into fishing when i was barely old enough to walk :big_smile: me and my best friend ricky have come to this site recently looking for a solution for a problem we both have been catfishing heavily for the last 2 years but having 1 slight problem all we are catching our smaller catfish we have tried worms livers goldfish and enthing u could put on a hook but still catching small catfish we have found a new spot which puts out a good number of small catfish at the local sewer plant (sorta desolate area got a pipe running into water that puts out fresh water it has trees and rocks so cover aint a problem)
    why are we not getting nice sized catfish a 10 lber would be nice to me who only catches 5 maybe 8 lbs at most i caught a 22 lber at a ******* last year which was awesome but i felt like it was cheap since it was at a ******* we fish basically southeastrn ky

2. catd11rnky

catd11rnky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    where in seky? matt

3. rickster

rickster New Member

State:
    kentucky
    we are fishing in the big sandy river at p burg i am his friend

4. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    what size bait ya'll use??sometimes larger bait will keep the smaller fish from biting but one of the main things is patience....i've gone about a month between catching larger cats but i still have fun catching smaller....by the way welcome to theBOC ya'll

5. rickster

rickster New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well thank you now we use good size bait like we are goiing tommrow about 7 to about 10 the next day we are taking chub minnows and prollie bluegill and some worms. would a big cut bait live a big cut blugill prolli work

6. rickster

rickster New Member

State:
    kentucky
    we have used like everthing and still barlie any bites. and we are in a great spot we was thinking mybe time for them to spawn

7. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    setup a couple of poles with the larger bait(both live and cutbait)and see what happens....

8. rickster

rickster New Member

State:
    kentucky
    thanks man sounds like a plan i belive that might work

9. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    no problem man...ya'll have fun and good luck

10. Matt_Clouse

Matt_Clouse New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ty for the post and hopefully that may help us we will post tomorrow if we had en luck

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Matt and Ricky, I would like to Welcome you both to the BOC!!! This is the place where you will find everything you ever wanted to know about Catfishing, and some things that you didn't even think you needed to know, LOL!!!
    I it were me, I would fish that are at night, that is when the bigger ones will come looking for the smaller ones that you are catching. Bait up with live bluegill, shad (live or fresh dead/cut or whole), Skipjack (fresh dead/ cut or whole).
    Also make sure your equipment is up for the task at hand. It would be a shame to finally hook one of those once in a lifetime fish and be using a rig that won't handle it:crazy: !!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

12. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC and good luck to you on your fishing

13. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC Matt and Rick. Vern

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC. Sorry I can't help you. LOL. I am the offical worst catfisherman in Tennessee, heck I caught a 4 pounder yesterday and am lucky to catch 1 little one per month but I continue to wet the bait. I sure get mad, I sure have a great time. LOL. I am thinking of getting in the boat today and not catching some.

Danny

15. rickster

rickster New Member

State:
    kentucky
    how dose any one feel about fishing with gold fish pritty decnt size gold fishare they good post me back and let me know