Hello - catfish rod building

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Sewerratking, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Sewerratking

Sewerratking New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Hello,
    From the frozen north waist land. I am going to be building my first catfish rod soon. does anyone have any tips they would like to share?

Attached Files:

2. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Welcome to the BOC Tom. Make sure your rod is strong and durable.

3. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Tom.

4. Sewerratking

Sewerratking New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for saying hi and the words of wisdome, gentalmen. I have to have 10 posts before some of my pictures of rods that I have build will show up, so here is number 2.:tounge_out:

5. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Tom, l'd like to see your rods you have built. Do you sell them?

6. Sewerratking

Sewerratking New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Yes I do, but they are mostly Musky and Walleye rods with some fancy handles. I have learned how to weave designs onto the shafts of rods. Not just chevrons, or diamonds, but peoples names, designs, signatures, sports team logos ect. I have two that I am working on right now, one has the Vikings logo and a few other things on one side of the rod and the frase MUSKY HUNTER on the other side of it with a 9 color swimming musky in betwen the Y and H. The other I have almost got the pattern done for, I will be a 9 color dragon that wraps around the rod once and curls around itself a couple of times. it will maybe take me about 90 to 120 hours of hand work to but it onto the rod, and about ten hours to set it up. That of corse will be MY rod.:embarassed:

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Tom were glad your here!!

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC from Missouri Tom.

9. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC & make sure you show us some of those rods when you get done.

10. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Welcome Tom! Thats a sweet Vikings weave you did. Kinda strange a cheesehead would weave the mighty Vikings logo. :lol:

What waters do you fish?

11. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Tom;
    Welcome Aboard the BOC!:smile2:
    I looked at a couple of your "weavings" and I would be appreciative if you kept me in touch from time to time on this subject.
    I have a custom built rod that was a disappointment when I received it but have hopes that it might be salvaged and if not, then I will consider having another built!
    If your interested send me a PM and I will shoot you my email address via the same method.
    I'm sure once you post some good photos of your work that you will have many members that will be interested in your work!:smile2:
    GLAD to have you with us!:smile2: :smile2:
    Fraternally and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

12. Sewerratking

Sewerratking New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Okay Rushing,
    I can see that I am going to have to set the record straight right away. I was raised in St. Paul, MN.( but with a dad in the navy I have been a few places) I work there also, but I live a stones throw over the river in WI. I hate the Packers (most weeks unless I need them to beat another team so the Viking can get into the playoffs) but other wise I am a Vikings fan, Twins, and Wild also. The most popular team for me though is the Gophers, and I love the Hockey. The places I fish most of you would have never heard of before, they are either so far north or so far under ground that you would not even know where I was.
    I have a wife and a great little girl, she help me every time she can. She has the creative bug and works on my thread work with me a night or two a week. As I post more things and a few new/old ideas retooled for cat fishing I think you will be suprised at what is coming down the pike soon. The next time you drive past a Man Hole cover in the street you may be suprised what comes out of it...............
    Thanks Tom "sewerratking":cool2: I hate bright lights, to many years of under ground testing.............

13. Sewerratking

Sewerratking New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    As I type one reply I have another that gets posted,
    Coyote1 if you would like to IM me and have AOL you will find me very easy. I also have MSN, And Yahoo for those of you that need to find me until I have enough posts to get PM. Thanks again, I will check back in a few hours or so again, but I have to clean up the Basement as my daughters B-day party is there tommorow. It is a wreck with all the ideas and testing going on.

14. Sewerratking

Sewerratking New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    These are a few of the coming designs for the shaft of the rods Let me know what you think...........:cool2: my eyes, the light I can't take it any more.....don't forget to turn out the lights when you leave.

Attached Files:

15. Sewerratking

Sewerratking New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    If anyone has any designs that they would like me to look at, PM me and I will send you my e-mail address:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

16. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    That Dragon looks awesome!

17. Sewerratking

Sewerratking New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    That will be done as a silhouette this fall for sure, and maybe in color for next spring, It is 165 thread wide and 225 turns of the rod. We will see who will be the lucky taker for that one...........Maybe it will go as a prize here? Who knows. :eek:oooh:

18. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    If using the guides with the Alum Oxide inserts one could use a semi-flexible glue to reinforce them in their seats. Less chance of them getting popped out by abuse.

Hope this helps a bit.

:smile2:

19. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use Fuji guides and tips, Gudebrode HT wrapping thread (probably size D for a Cat rod) and Flex Coat epoxies for coating the wraps. Contact Anglers Resource and they'll send you a Fuji catalog.

20. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il

FIANLLY! ANOTHER FELLOW VIKES FAN! Our time is coming man, dont worry, i can feel it:big_smile: awesome designs also btw. keep us posted