Hello all question about fishing rivers and creeks for you experts

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by rudy81, Mar 24, 2008.

1. rudy81

rudy81 New Member

State:
    Rogers,Arkansas
    Hi there every body. Been a long time i know. What 2 years or so? LOL I just had to come back and pick your brians. I have several creeks and rivers that have some holes in them up to about 5 feet deep? though the rivers themselves are not but about 15-20 foot across for the most part. I wanted to know if by chance they would produce any cats? Is there a size on a body of water it has to be to produce fish? I have caught small mouth and large mouth bass and many blue gill and crappie out of them but never any cats. Not that I have ever thought to try really but was wanting to maybe give it a go.

In case you were asking your self where i have been like i am sure DH and Tea are doing right now. I have been busy being a father of a litle girl which is now 2 that I think i told you about but also now a little boy that is 8 months old. Talk about a handfull! LOL By the way my lil girl caught her first fish after her 2 year birthday with me on a fishing trip. It was a lil blue gill on my ultra light.... talk about funny.... she kept on saying i fish dadda i fish.... So I let her fish and she sure as heck had her hands full reeling that little guy in funniest thing i had seen in a while. ;-)

Well if you all could let me know about that creek/river question it would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Mike K

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i fish several small creeks. the smallest is 8 ft across if its lucky. if the waters moving slow theres nothing. if it starts moving fast you can pull out 10 - 15 lb cat. best way to find out is just to fish it. worst thing that can happen is you'll have a peaceful evening.

3. rudy81

rudy81 New Member

State:
    Rogers,Arkansas
    How deep is that little creek?

4. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    it actually dries out at times, max without flood is around 5 ft with some holes to 8ft .

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I usually fish alot of creek streams that leads into the main lake, not very deep water but I still catch alot out of them

6. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    dont let little water fool you i catch 20-30lb flaties out of 5 ft deep water out of a small river

7. Spock

Spock New Member

State:
    Kansas
    do those rivers empty into any lakes nearby that has catfish in them? If so, then the catfish will probably swim up river f/ the lakes during the spring for spawning. If you can catch the first few lowhead dams on the river north of the lakes, if any, then I would fish those as fish will congregate there b/c they can't get over them, and they will stock up and feed like you wouldn't believe prior to spawning. I'd recommend using about 4" live bluegill to bring 'em in.

Hope this helps.

8. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    where i live the arkansas is knee deep and there is no lake until oklahoma