Hello all new here please help before i pull out all of my hair

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by bipolarguy, Sep 22, 2008.

1. bipolarguy

bipolarguy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello to all of you im new to the site and i have a big problem.I live by a city power plant on the James river it uses the water then returns it to the lake so it stays warm year round.It is packed with pan size channels and alot of good size flatheads and alot of big big carp.Hears my problem,the pan size cats are getting very hard to catch being that ther is a large amount of fishing pressure.Everyone is over using the same baits such as shrimp,livers,and all the store bought stuff,and being that BassPro Shops main store is here don't help either.So does any one have a good dough bait recipe to use for channels that have alot of fishing pressureon them?.Also a good carp bait recipe my standard one with wheaties is not working either because everyones using that to.I could really use some help here.Also i do get stuff at wholesale because i have a retail license so that might help.OH also looking for fishing buddy i live in springfield MO.Thanks a bunch,hope to get to know some of you out there good fishing and good luck.:eek:oooh:

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :cool2:Kevin first of all WELCOME to the BOC/SOC. Always good to see new MO. members.
    Now as for baits go try going into to BOC Library. Lots of good info here plus a forum on baits. Might find what your looking for. Them ole cats can get picky at times. Just keep on tryin. Should be good during winter months what with the water being warm all the time.

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    welcome to the BOC, I'm sure someone can help you out, check out the library as said above

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC Kevin...from Western Kentucky. First of all...I have never had much luck with prepared baits such as dough baits or dip baits. Whenever I am targeting smaller channelcats, I have always done well with chicken livers, however when they aren't biting too good on them, I will switch to night crawlers as a good choice. Also some of the best cats are caught on pieces of cut baits (fresh) whether it be cut up bluegills or shad or skipjacks. Just match the bait size to the size fish you are targeting. Sometimes a single shad gut on a hook will tear them up when nothing else seems to be working while using the smallest weight you can get by with. I personally witnessed two guys one time catch over a 100 Channelcats (3-8 lbs), by using a single shad gut on a hook with a splitshot for weight. While I was fishing down the bank with chicken livers and never caught a single fish. This taught me to watch what other people are doing and who is catching the fish. Nowadays, I target the monsters, and use mostly large live Bluegills or cutbaits. I keep a few smaller fish for the freezer and release most of my catches. Just love to catch Big fish!!. Good Luck and stay after them!!!:smile2:

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    As for catching Carp....have you ever tried sweet corn or whole kernel corn right out of the can? I have caught some good carp using corn as well as night crawlers....using smaller hooks and weights will help too. Good Luck Brother!!:eek:oooh:

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Kevin.

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Try cut Skipjack you should be able to catch them right there below the power plant.Fish for them right on the edge of swift moving water. The pan size cat get funny in how they bite too this time of year.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kevin Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Kevin, welcome to the BOC.

10. bipolarguy

bipolarguy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thanks for all the info guys.

11. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome. I like to use worms for catching cats and carp. It works well on both. As for a dough bait, somtimes you can take a loaf of bread and take out the middle. Add a little Big Red soda or strawberry soda and roll it into a ball. Works pretty good for me. :wink:

12. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Kevin
    For a different bait, you can try grasshoppers the big yellow ones, and crikets.
    Also pieces of cut shad, and dont under estamate minnows.
    you need to come to shootout on Truman lake, Oct. 11 @ Osage Bluff, their are some, seminars or talks on cat fish, in the afternoon, around 6 check shootout post,
    you are sure welcome.
    Jim