Hellgrammites

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Kansas Tree Rat, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I have heard people talking about alot of didderent baits on here but have not heard anyone talk about Hellgrammites. We used them all the time on the Neosho, Verdgris and Fall river. I just found out yesterday that there are lots of them in the Wakarusa. Everything in the water eats them. They are free and easy to get and easy to keep. I have caught everything from Flatheads to carp on them. Just wondered if anyone else uses them?
    I am attaching a pic and a link for those that don't know what they are. They are the larva of a dobson fly which is about the biggest damm bug you will ever see. I have had them hit a lantern and almost knock it over. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobsonfly

Attached Files:

2. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    Now that is what you call a bug. Are they just lying by the bank?

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    just use a lantern or look for the larva in the rocks in the water

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    The only place i have ever used them is below the old city dam at Burington.

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They eventually grow 4 wings and fly. They are quite possibly the ugliest creature on earth. They're just as mean too. come at them with a lighter and they'll attack the flame. Hey, I said Mean. Not smart. I've never tried using them for bait. the only ones I've seen have wings and are too big and ugly for me to mess with. I use a pole and swat them into the water when I see them.

6. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    The best way to get them is to use a sein. It is best to have two people. You do not pull the sein you just unroll it about an arms width and hold it in the shallow water in the riffles. The second person turns over rocks upstream and the mites wash down into the net. After you turn the bigger rocks it is best to step in and stir the gravel with you feet. In a good spot you might get a dozen on one pass. Oh and by the way "THEY BITE" so grab them by the head. If I am going to collect a bunch and may be keeping them for awhile or I am going to be using them after dark I use a pair of nail clippers and nip off ONE pincher. To keep them use a 5 gal. bucket with a lid. They can climb out of anything. Just put an inch of water and some old rags in for them to cling to. Theywill keep for up to a couple of weeks if you keep them cool.
    You can also get a few by turning rocks right at the waters edge and nabbing them as the water clears. Be sure to look on the bottom of the rock when you turn it sometime they are hanging on the rock instead of under it.
    To use them you hook them under the hard collar just below the head. One problem with using them is that they lay flat on the bottom and hold on or even pull you under a rock. The solution is that they fight each other so use 2 and you will catch many more fish. They fight and roll along the bottom instead of hanging up. The only other problem is like I said EVERTHING eats them. If there are lots of drum or carp around you will have a hard time catching catfish. Another good point it that they are tough I have caught 7 or 8 drum one one mite.