Hellgrammites for bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by AZflats, Aug 17, 2007.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    How many people have had luck using Hellgrammites as bait? This time of year they have already changed into their adult stage, Dobson fly. Heard they are like candy for flatheads..

* I caught several Dobson flies on my last outing and tried them for bait in an area teaming with small flattys, no luck though~ All the cats wanted were gills and night crawlers..

Any help would be appreciated...

Attached Files:

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i have never caught a cat with them but the bass crappie and perch love then in the small streams and rivers i fish...

3. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Never heard of them fished with as adult flies. Only as helgramites. People catch them in the rocks here along the river and use 'em for channels, mostly. I'm sure a smaller flat or blue would take one, though. Make sure you don't get pinched!

-Red

4. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    They are a great bait for anything that swims in small rivers. I catch a lot of channel cats on hellgramites.

5. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I've only caught smallmouth bass with them. Just might have to try them on cats.:big_smile:

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    They make a good fly rod bait.

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Geez that thing is ugly........lol how would you even hook one of those things.

8. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Ive caught tons of big smallmouth with them and quite a few channels while i was bass fishing in small rivers.

9. Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan New Member

State:
    Az
    Ive done well with them for flatheads, good daytime bait used in moving water just off the bottom...the best way to get huge ones is in the water...take a piece of screen and secure it between 2 poles about 3 feet wide and 2 feet tall or so (approximatelly), its a 2 man op, find some shallow rifles with a nice mix of sand and gravel with nice rollable rocks in it, situate yourself alittle ways below them and submerge the screen to the bottom of the water,have someone roll those rocks and turn the bottom up and youll have some nice ones, was catchin them about 7 inches recently...this method turned up about 2 dozen nice helgers and a load of crawdads in about 15 minutes...they are are also excellent when in their final stages, all yellow and gold and smallmouth and just about everything else loves them to death, a highly overlooked bait in my opinion...