hellgramites

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by upncomincatfishking, Jun 26, 2009.

1. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    anyone ever use hellgramites for catfish bait i know they'll tear em up my step dad use to use them but i cant find anywhere to get them. is it still too early in the year for them?

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    We use them here on the river. It is a little early for the bigger ones. Middle of July on is when we do best.

3. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    According to the people who use them they are the best bait period. Also, from what I've heard there's no telling what you might catch on them because pretty much every species of fish will eat them.

The only way I've heard of catching them is to find a shallow place with a strong current and setup a seine downstream, then rake the rocks and the hellgramites under the rocks will get carried downstream into the seine. Seems pretty easy, but then the problem is finding where they are. Plus it usually takes 2 or 3 people to do this.

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I have a bait net that is 24" wide X 12" high with a short handle. I can usually get all I need in about 15-20 min. Look for flat rocks on gravel in swift water.

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I dont know about using them for cats but their the cats meow when it comes to trout.