Hellgramite Season

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by flathead willie, May 17, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Do any of my BOC brothers use Hellgramites? They are plentiful right now and are great Channel cat bait.

2. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I have and do for channels but i have not this year yet.

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    They make great channel cat bait and even better smallmouth bait.

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't even know what that is. LOL, there's lots I don't know.

5. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    They are the larvea of the Dobson fly,about 2 1/2 inches long...those big black things about 3 inches long that land on the screen door late in the summer, with huge pinchers. This time of year they are in the water and look like leathery centipeds with thick strong pinchers. They are under rocks until mid to late June when they come up on the banks and get under rocks there until their wings grow.
    You can get a 4' sein net, put tomato stakes on the ends so you can hold them down into the bottom of knee deep fast moving water. Have someone 10-12 feet upstream kick and turn over rocks and the Hellgramites, Crawdads, Madtoms, etc.will wash into the net. They are supper tuff and will stay on the hook sometimes for 3-4 fish. Once they are taken out of the water, they start breathing air and will drown if you put them back into water. Keep them in a container of grass or leaves. They will stay alive for a long time, sometimes weeks. They also put off a strong oder that attracts all kinds of fish. Hook them under the hard collar behind the head.

6. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Billie i havent heard anyone talk about madtoms in years good bait.Down home we use to get chups and toms and we where set for a night of fishing.Up here where i live now i have never heard anyone say they use them.

7. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, Hellgramites and Madtoms are great bait. I've been useing them for years. I have a friend from Laos who eats Madtoms. His wife, Boontom, takes a whole mess of them and puts them, whole, into a pot of soup. It takes some getting used to eating soup that stares back at you and has guts floating around in it! To them it's good eating. I guess if you get hungry enough, you'll eat anything that doesn't eat you first. It's good to be an American! God bless America!!!

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    growing up along the perkiomen creek I used to use them for trout bait. man did they go nuts for it. but since i moved to allentown, I cant find them in the little lehigh creek. i havent fished to jordan creek yet but hear their in the lehigh river.

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Flathead willie's right about them being tough, all you need is about a dozen and they will last you a day basically. My dad caught 7 straight fish on the same helgramite one time.

10. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    Those things are like carmel popcorn to smallmouth too!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it was not fish they were after.
    Henry David Thoreau

11. katmandue

katmandue New Member

State:
    Bonne Terre, MO
    I've used A helgramite for fishing once. Never tried it again 'cause those pinchers were quite intimidating and I have an affinity to my fingers.:roll_eyes:

12. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, you got to be careful. Those pinchers are NOT for decoration! I like to fish them on a small jig head especially while drifting. Most of the time they barely get to the bottom before something hits them.

13. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Brushy Bill,
    I love your quote. It reminds me of what my father used to say. " Some men spend their whole lives trying to get to the top of the ladder....only to find that it's leaning on the wrong wall."

14. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    let me tell you if you wanna catch fish use them! i never had them fail me once! last year i had a dozen and i caught like 18 cats and i only had one left and i caught another 23 cats on it! i just kept getting the skin of the hellgramite back on the hook and they cats kept hitting! there was another boat using chicken livers that fished longer than me and only caught 5 or 6 fish. last sunday i had 12 smallmouth in high water with them so i couldnt complain about that. if you ever find a white one use those also they work just as well but only last one fish.

last year when i kept catching the fish on that one hellgramite so i figured it was the smell that the fish wanted. and ive used fake ones that never really produced well so i now put about two dozen fake plastic ones in the jar with the real ones and they also produce for a few fish till the scent comes off.

i use a wet cloth like a potatoe bag kind of cloth and keep it damp with some ventalation and all the hellgramites stay alive till they change to the dobson fly. hey scott anglers paradise in whitehall now carries them in the store but they will set you back 13 bucks a dozen. right now its easy to find them tho it took me about 25 mins to find a dozen and i caught a few more while i was fishing from the bank so theres no need to spend that money but in june and july when they get harder i might be worth it.

ive made alot of men look dumb when they were fishing because they had artficials and i had hellgramites. last year theres a spot where a few guys wade out in the river to catch some smallmouth and they only caught a few all day and on my first cast i caught a 3# then i had 4 or 5 1-2# in a row. ended up with over 20 smallmouth to the 2 i saw them land.

15. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

16. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Hey guys, Right now they are in the larvea stage. Get your self a 4' sein net,(sinkers on the bottom, floats or plain on top) put a tomato stake on each end then get in some knee deep water, hold the stakes down to the bottom while your buddy turns over rocks and kicks up a fuss up stream. The Hellgramites will be washed out from under the rocks and into the net. Holes in the net should be as small as possable. (1/4 inch)

17. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Boys, down here in Virginia they are about $2.00 a dozen. look for them in faster moving water.

18. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    i'll try to post a picture. if it doesn't just type in Hellgramite to your search engine and learn all about them. hellgrammite_tom.jpg

19. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Billie, do you have a picture of a Dobson fly? Hellgrammites are great bait, but that Dobson fly is the real show-stopper. I bet some people have never seen one. The first one I ever saw we caught in a styrofoam cup while at the flea market. By the time we got home he had stuck those pinchers through the styrofoam trying to escape! My sister donated him to the local children's science museum. They were very happy to get him.

20. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    they are some ugly critters