Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I gave in to the hype and ordered an orange Hellcat rod, Medium power. Very nice rod, as it should be for the price tag ($146.95 with shipping after a 10% discount code). I love the orange color and admittedly that's what got me to try one. Rated 1-6 oz and I have no doubt it will cast that much.

Here is my sticking point with this rod; I feel like it is the same rod as a regular Big Cat Fever rod with brighter colors and a cooler looking reel seat. I've owned the medium power BCF rod and even though I don't have it anymore to compare, they feel the same. I haven't found any literature online that says they developed a new blank, but if anyone knows differently please reply and let me know. I had got the impression that maybe these would be a composite blank therefore a little lighter weight wise.

Now, I'm by no means saying it's a bad rod, it's nice and seems to be great quality which I would expect from the Catch the Fever brand, I'm just saying that if you're on the fence and don't need the bright colors you could probably stick with the Big Cat Fever series and save yourself the extra $65.00. Not sure if this one will stay in my arsenal so keep an eye out in the for sale section cause it might end up there.
Door Handle Wood Fixture Home door
Musical instrument Bicycle fork Office supplies Wood Bicycle part
Wood Thermometer Wall Household hardware Paint
Wood Rectangle Line Material property Font

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just cant justify that kind of money on a single rod. i think catfish dave broke one grabbing it to move it? look good just not my cup of tea.
I'm a gear junky, and fishing is my only hobby I spend money on. I like to try out new rods and unfortunately the only way is to order them. There is literally nothing local. I've spent a lot of money trying rods over the last few years.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're still in the market for an Orange blank in medium. Madkatz has a few blanks in that color that are pretty stout. Medium is 1-10oz, Medium light is 1-6oz. $89

View attachment 329119 View attachment 329120 View attachment 329121 View attachment 329122 View attachment 329123 View attachment 329124 View attachment 329125
Kind of wish I would've tried them out, although I would've got the white ghost. I just like the looks of white rods. I was hoping for something different with the Hellcat and I like the orange better than the green.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is, by definition, a composite blank.
The guy in the video distinctly says that the blank is mix of glass and carbon. What he doesn’t say is how much of each or how it is distributed in the lay up of the blank.
It may well be (probably is) a decent rod but that video is a bunch of hot air hype with way more focus on aesthetics than the engineering.
J. M. H. O.

…W
Ok, I thought I had heard somewhere that it is a composite. Thanks for sharing that info. And I agree with you that the focus sure seems to be on the aesthetics. With that being said, you want one?:p

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ve purchased many of the different “catfish” rods out there and have just come to the realization that for my fishing and my preference, the ugly stik catfish rods are just right for me. I’ve got several and I have an older ugly stik CAL 1101 7’ MH that is probably my favorite rod I own. I just don’t fish the big baits and I don’t have big rivers. I’ve also started to lean more toward spinning gear.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I love the rippin lips rods. I have a few myself, no complaints from me. Awesome rods and even better price. Owner is great too. Excellent customer service
I’ve had my eye on those for years now. I’m really interested in the two piece medium light, specs seem right along the lines of what I’m hunting.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I miss when they were on Amazon for free shipping several years back. Beats the $30 shipping. I get it but still kind of free was def better. For the consumer at least.
Free shipping is always nice, especially on rods. They get expensive to ship, which is why I usually end up ordering more than one of something so I feel like the shipping is effectively less. I did just order two Ugly Stik 7’ catfish spinning rods from Amazon. $39.95 each with free shipping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts