Helgramites

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by KansasKatter, Jul 19, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Has anyone ever used Helgramites for bait, or do you have them in your area? I don't even know for sure that is what they are called, that is just what I grew up hearing my Dad call them. They are a "bug" type creature that lives under rocks in swift moving water. They look kind of like a millipede, only fatter, or wider I should say with a relatively large pincher on the front, or more of a jaw. They are about 2.5 to 3" long mostly. You have to kind of crawl around in the water, feeling under rocks to get them, because they stick pretty tight to the under sides.

They are excellent bait for channel cat especially. Watch out though, they will bite the CRAP out of you with that thing on the front. For no bigger than they are, they pack a pretty good wallop. When I was a kid, I used to HATE going with dad to catch them! I used to lie and say I could not find any, and just sit and play in the water while he got bit over and over again! :tounge_out:

2. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    never heard of them sound like there to painful for me to use lmao

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Pez, LOL keep in mind the last time one bit me I was about 10, so they may not be as painful as I remember. I do remember my dad cussing them though, when he would get bit, and he is one tough SOB, so they must hurt a little! LOL

4. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We got em here in Ohio. They work good for any fish. The best way i found to catch them is to have someone downstream 4' or so from you with a minnow seine. Then just turn the rocks over and they'll go with the current right into the seine.

5. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Never heard of them, but they sound like it could be a good bait.

6. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    excellant catfish bait or just about anything else. lol, they do have intimidating pinchers but its no more painful than being nabbed by a small crawdad.

7. bd76

bd76 New Member

State:
    Texas
    In my opinion they are the very best channel cat bait for rivers and creeks. Oh I'm 29 and they still hurt when they get me.

8. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hellgrammites work great in rivers/rocky areas. If you fish them in a big lake they dont bite them near as good because there found in rivers and creeks. They are tough as nails put one on a hook and you can catch 3-4 cats with just the 1. Downside of them is hard to catch big catfish on them but in a river should be able to catch 2-10lbers on them easy. put 3 or 4 on 1 hook for bigger channels. Thats all i catch with them is channel cats.

9. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Nope, nope, nope, I ain't touching those nasty looking things. I swear over half the aliens you ever seen in the movies were modeled after a helgramite:eek:oooh: . Did mention I don't like spiders either:tounge_out::big_smile:

10. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Best way to catch the get a minnow seine about 4-6 foot. put 2 poles on the ends of it have 2 people hold each side and take a tater digger or rake and rake the rocks over. The water will carry them right into the seine along with all the sticks, leafs, and other debris so it take 2 people to pick the seine up after it gets full of leafs.

11. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I love using helgies as bait. Fish absolutely love them and they are hardy as heck. My dad told me of one time he caught 9 straight fish on the same helgie and it was still live. Channel cats and smallies can't resist a big old helgie.

12. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    What a Wussy!:wink:

13. DittmeRhino

DittmeRhino New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They are about as good a smallmouth bass bait as you are likely to ever find. BTW....they are the larval stage of the damsonfly.

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I'm with you brother NO PAIN is NO PAIN. lol

15. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ahhh! Go Devils! They are excellent for fishing rivers that already have them in it. You wont have to "wait" for a bite either. If there's a catfish near where you throw your hook it's gonna get bit. Go Devils have two pinchers. If you have several large go devils in one cannister you might have to break one off each of them to keep em from killing each other. And if a large one gets a good hold on the tip of your finger it can bring blood too. Did I mention they are a great bait for catfish? Nothing better if the water you're fishing already has them in it. Dont work though if it's not a native bait where you're fishing.

16. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    When it comes to those nasty half-cooked wannabe bugs I am a Wussy:embarassed:

17. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Jeff,

went river fishing/camping just south of Atlanta when I was a kid and my uncle had us all out in the shoals filling milk jugs with those things. We tied the jugs to our beltloops and the water was 2-4 ft deep and swift. The bottom was rocky and the rocks were covered with moss. You pull up handfulls of the moss and there would be several of those critters in your hand. They worked great all night long for bait and we had a blast. I never knew what they were called though...thanks for the post.

18. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Couple of weeks ago went fishing up on the middle part of the Brazos here in Texas. It's a rock lined river, so plenty of hellgramites. The were almost the only thing the cats would hit that night. All the cats were caught on hellies or cut shad. But, the big ones sure can pinch the fire outa you.

19. stinky1

stinky1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you don't like the pinchers, just cut them off with a pair of nail clippers when you catch them. I've kept over 2 doz. alive over a month after doing this!!!
    Art

20. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    i love them as bait. but they can pack a wallop. I use the seine methed too but if I am by myself then i like taking a net about a foot across and holding it on the downstream side and turning over rocks. this is really nice too if you use crawdads because u will catch alot with this method