Helgramites

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by unclebuncle, Feb 4, 2009.

1. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Heres my favorite bait of all time.Every fish I know eats them.Do any of you use them?

Attached Files:

2. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    Heck, I'm not sure I've ever seen one. Where do you find them?

3. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I've seen them just enough to know what they are, but I aint ever used them.
    Never seen one quit that big. Where do you find them?

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    They are in rocks in the riffles.
    I dont ever use them for the reason you mentioned. Everything eats them.
    I only want to catch a cat.:smile2:
    They are a good bait though, especially for drifts. Not too many of them in my immediate area but the further south they are more prevelent.

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    That was the bait of choice for channels below the old city dam at Burlington.
    I guess when I was a very young kid I would put them in my pockets while fishing with my Dad.

Then when we would get home from a weekend fishing trip from there they would still be in my pockets.:smile2:

I remember Mom yelling at me when she would go to wash my shorts because I would forget to take them out...:smile2:

6. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    There seem to be more of those on the Neosho than any other river.
    Lots of riffles on the Nesoho.

7. Phoneman53

Phoneman53 New Member

State:
    Olivet, Kansas,
    And what did you use to do to your sister with them??? I let you finish that story goes........JAN RUN RAY HAS A HELGRAMITE>>>:smile2::smile2:

8. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Yeah they're real good for chasing little sisters.Darn things draw blood if they get you too.Neosho is where I fish most but I've found them in Verdigris and Fall River too plus some creeks.Even found them in Florida but they call them gator fleas.They're even good bait in places where they arent found.

9. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    My wife has family in Fredonia. I hope to go and fish Fall River some this year.
    Have you ever fished the dam in Fredonia?

10. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I've fished Fredonia dam a few times but not for years.Theres another dam downriver a few miles thats even better.

11. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Is it public access? Are you talking about Neodesha? I have been wanting to give that river a try for awhile now.
    Thanks!

12. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    y'all keep bringin up more & more of my dad's old stompin grounds. there are still Blenden's in Ark City and a ton in Maple City cemetary

13. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Cant remember the name of it its in middle of nowhere at an old ghost town.Been a long time,just follow river road.

14. CatfishAngler25

CatfishAngler25 New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg,Kentucky
    Yeah ive seen hellgramites before they even make them as an artificial bait. these things can even grow wings and fly short distances. Me my dad and a few friends go down to new river in virginia or west virginia im not sure the exact location. i think its close to blue stone or blue point lake sorry for the terrible info on the location. but they sell these at the local bait stores there for like 4 dollars a dozen. We stayed for 3 days and caught smallmouth,largemouth, and two flatheads. In three days we caught 147 smallmouth , 23 largemouth, and the 2 flats. i had never heard of them till that trip and i liked the outcome very well seeing the smallmouth is what we went for.

15. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I fish Ark City quite a bit and I think I have been through Maple City.
    Should I watch out?:wink::smile2:
    If you ever want to fish there I can show you around.

16. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i passed through Ark City on my way to Altamont to see an old friend on my way back home last time.

17. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Dam things scare the heck out of me!! Pretty sure every monster in a B rated horror film was modeled after them nasty suckers:cool2:.

Never have fished either of those dams, but have relation in both Fredonia and Neodesha.

18. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Small world.
    The wife'e grandparents used to run the ambulance in Fredonia. They have lived there for over 40 years. Their last name is Martin. I am sure your relatives know them.
    They also have a lake house on Fall River and they have given us permission to use it but we have never taken them up on that.
    I suppose we better do that this year.:tounge_out::smile2:
    Im also wanting to fish Toronto and Fegan.
    If you are ever down that way visiting/fishin give me a shout.

19. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I fish Toronto a lot they have some huge crappie.

20. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

A hellgrammite is the larval stage of a Dobsonfly.

First time I ever saw a Dobsonfly was at a flea market in a nearby town. That thing was flying all around and looked quite scary. (I had never seen a hellgrammite at that time either, didn't know they were the same thing.)

BUT....I wanted to catch it so I could identify it. It finally landed and we caught it in a large styrofoam coffee cup. On the way back home it stuck its "intimidating tusks" (see wikipedia link at btm.) THROUGH the side of that cup.

Took us awhile online to figure out what it was; after that we took the Dobsonfly to our local science center. They were thrilled to get it, didn't have an example of one. The one we caught was as large as this article says they get!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobsonfly