Helegramites

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Boomer, May 31, 2008.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just wondering if anyone has used hellgramites, and if did you do any good with them.

In Oklahoma I use to tear up the channel cat with them.

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    That is one of my fav. baits. I use them in riffels and swifter current in small rivers and tear channels and small flattey's up with them.

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I've caught chanels and smallmouth with them I have had smallmouth jump up and smash them before the hook was even wet! and a just a few go along way !

4. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    They are good bait for eating size cats.

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Ive never used them for cats but growing up on a trout stream, they were my favorite live bait. I even had a trout chase it back while I was retreiving to cast and jump out of the water to grab it. I have 2 witnesses to this.

6. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I have never caught a catfish on them. A smallmouth usually gobbles them up first..........next in line are the drum....cats never seem to get to them.

Richard

7. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    where do you get them i have never seen one but just have heard they are a dynamite bait

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I find them under rocks in the fast water. take your minnow net downstream of a rock, lift the rock up, wait a moment and put it back the way it was. You'll catch crawfish, hellagramites and assorted critters as well has debris. Not all streams have them. I grew up on the perkiomen river which had them but here in allentown I cant find them in the lil lehigh. I hear the big lehigh has them but i've never gone down to that river.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

When is the best time to find them Scott? Any particular time?:confused2:

I have a buddy that tears the Smallmouth up with them, not sure about cats?:confused2:

10. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hellgramites are a larve of a insect. I would say right now to the end of August is a good time to find them. They will be a little small right now, but well worth the time to catch a few.

11. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I go to the Current River in the Ozarks with my dad at least once a year.The hellgramites are thick and fat here.They do work for catfish,but,it's like using crawdads.Everything eats them.By the way,they are the larval stage of the Dobson fly.BE carful of they're pinchers,too.

12. bigbengal

bigbengal New Member

State:
    WV
    I catch channel cats on them all the time while small mouth fishing. It is always a great surprise to hook into a channel with you ultralight rod and reel. Hellgies are a great bait if you are drift fishing but I haven't had much success bottom fishing with them.

13. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Cody,
    Definitely takesome time to try them out. Well worth the time and effort.

Richard

14. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
  15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for that info!!! Hopefully by the end of august I'll be healthy enough to get out wading in the creeks and such to try to find them.:confused2:
    Thank You!

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Last monday I was lifting up rocks to find crayfish and got a hellgramite. Nasty little buggers, tried to bite me with it's pinchers.

Put it on a hook and caught a smallmouth bass with in seconds. It was still intact and I dropped it down and caught a hand-sized bluegill. It was still intact and with about 15 minutes of soaking in the riverbottom, I lastly caught a small channel cat.

All with one hellgramite.