Heirloom

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Kutter, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I read the other day where BlueLake pole beans were an heirloom variety. Is this true to any of your knowledge?

Any recommendations on heirloom beans, corn or cukes?

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm not sure what makes a seed an heirloom. I thought that referred to old variety's, like Kentucky wonder beans or any variety that has been around 50 years or so.

Someone let this old dumb farmer know.:big_smile::big_smile:

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    All heirloom means, when referring to plants, are that they are not hybrids and can reproduce and stay true to form. Seeds from heirlooms are saved and produce same true plant as the "mother". Hybrids, while normally stronger and much better at disease resistance, are infertile and normally do not produce seeds that can be saved and bear plants true to parent.

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's true as far as what I just researched. That just happens to be the variety I'm planting this year.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I remember back in the 50's & 60's, my father always planted Kentucky Wonder. Blue Lake has been a popular variety for many years. I have planted both for 20 years. About 10 years ago I switched to the Kentucky Blue, the variety that is a hybrid of the two. About 3 years ago, I started using Top Crop bush type. It's a great bean, but I miss the pole type and their easier picking, more total harvest, than the bush types.