Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an el cheapo Shakespeare Tiger spincast combo from wallyworld for $17, preloaded with crappy 20 lb test. I took it out to my fave spot, tossed a 3 inch bluegill on a circle hook, threw it out & proceeded to forget about it. The line spazzed bigtime; what I thought was either a ginormous snapping turtle or a snag turned out to be this rascal. I fought with that thing for at least a solid 45 minutes, too. My neighbor's scale weighed him right at 34 lb.

I tried to revive him enough to toss him back, but I guess I must have worn him out too much during the fight- he just kinda laid there and was barely breathing. So, I brought him home (my "honey hole" is less than a mile from my house) and put him in a big rubbermaid tub w/dechlorinated water and a good aquarium bubbler right at his mouth to see if he'll come around. If he survives, I'll take him out and put him right back where he came from...if the poor thing dies, though, I guess I'll go ahead and eat him so he doesn't go to waste. (I really do hope he survives; he seems to be breathing a lot easier, so I'm hopeful he'll make it.)

PS- apologies for how scuzzy I look in the pic, lol- I'm ten kinds of sunburnt and covered with fish goo, so not exactly at my finest haha

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
Great story Molly and congratulations on the Fish. Nice looking fish.
Welcome to the USCA.
My fish'n partner been using the same rig for years.
Hope to see ya at the gatering June 4,5,6.
Reps

·
Registered
131 Posts
I picked up an el cheapo Shakespeare Tiger spincast combo from wallyworld for $17, preloaded with crappy 20 lb test. I took it out to my fave spot, tossed a 3 inch bluegill on a circle hook, threw it out & proceeded to forget about it. The line spazzed bigtime; what I thought was either a ginormous snapping turtle or a snag turned out to be this rascal. I fought with that thing for at least a solid 45 minutes, too. My neighbor's scale weighed him right at 34 lb.

I tried to revive him enough to toss him back, but I guess I must have worn him out too much during the fight- he just kinda laid there and was barely breathing. So, I brought him home (my "honey hole" is less than a mile from my house) and put him in a big rubbermaid tub w/dechlorinated water and a good aquarium bubbler right at his mouth to see if he'll come around. If he survives, I'll take him out and put him right back where he came from...if the poor thing dies, though, I guess I'll go ahead and eat him so he doesn't go to waste. (I really do hope he survives; he seems to be breathing a lot easier, so I'm hopeful he'll make it.)

PS- apologies for how scuzzy I look in the pic, lol- I'm ten kinds of sunburnt and covered with fish goo, so not exactly at my finest haha
Nice fish!

P.S. Let us know if he makes it please

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! The pic really doesn't do him justice IMHO- that sucker has a head that has to be over a foot across...the 1 acre pond he came from has several big flatties that are tagged (catch & release only)- this guy doesn't have a tag, so I need to find out where someone can tag him before I put him back.

He's honestly the biggest fish I've caught since I was a teenager (I got a 42 lb flattie at Fall River many, many moons ago). I don't know how accurate my neighbor's scales are, but eh- I don't care...he's a hawg in my book LOL.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome Molly, and congrats on a great fish.
Ninnescah River I am guessin? Thats a great catfishin river.
I'm 1/8 mile from the Ninnescah; but nope- this was the dinky community pond near my house LOL. A lot of guys have caught big flatties from the Ninnescah and turned 'em loose in that little pond so people can have the chance of catching a hawg. :smile-big:

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Molly, welcome to the BOC, and thanks for the story and the pic of a fine looking Cat. Uh, by the way, are you susceptible to seduction?:biggrin::beer::pirate::laugh:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, everyone, for all the kind words. I just checked on him, and he seems to be doing okay. I added a spoonful of salt and a quarter teaspoon of epsom salt to his "spa" (I raise fish, and that's a great combo for stressed fish). I won't add any methylene blue, at least not until I'm confident he'll survive...then I'll give him an immersion dip just prior to release. I'll check on him again in the morning and see how he's doing; in the meantime, he can relax in his little jacuzzi and breathe oxygenated water. :)

Uh, by the way, are you susceptible to seduction?:biggrin::beer::pirate::laugh:
Sure, though the odds increase exponentially if you've got a boat... :party:

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Thanks, everyone, for all the kind words. I just checked on him, and he seems to be doing okay. I added a spoonful of salt and a quarter teaspoon of epsom salt to his "spa" (I raise fish, and that's a great combo for stressed fish). I won't add any methylene blue, at least not until I'm confident he'll survive...then I'll give him an immersion dip just prior to release. I'll check on him again in the morning and see how he's doing; in the meantime, he can relax in his little jacuzzi and breathe oxygenated water. :)

Sure, though the odds increase exponentially if you've got a boat... :party:
GREAT, my odds have increased exponentially then(I like that), I gots a CATOON with a 100 quart beer cooler, it doubles as a live well though.:highfive::wink::party::laugh:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right on! I'll have to bring some of my homemade blackberry wine with me IF I'm able to make the trip...word to the wise, it's some potent stuff LOL :messed:

Do you happen to know how much the fees run out there, by any chance? I won't be camping (no camping gear) so I'll pretty much have to just park somewhere & sleep in the truck...but if I drink enough wine I won't care anyway haha

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He's still alive. He's breathing, but is still so weak that he isn't moving. I desperately need a stock tank to put him in, so he can have more water volume...but I don't have one, and don't know anyone who has one I could borrow temporarily.

I called the fisheries biologist at KDWP & spoke to a guy named Tom (I guess he's the supervisor or whatever); he said he does NOT want me to put him back in that little pond, as having a predator that size in such a small impoundment completely throws off the whole system & eats up a lot of [very expensive] channel cat that they're stocking out there.

I'd be happy to put him in the Ninnescah, or heck- I'd gladly give him to one of you guys to release somewhere appropriate...but first I've got to come up with a bigger holding enclosure to help him recover completely. I'm open to ideas, of course.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.