hefner lake fishing

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by river cat, Jun 29, 2008.

1. river cat

river cat New Member

State:
    Yukon Ok
    I'm new to lake fishing for cats. Move from Arksansa where I river fished. Lake Hefner is my closed Lake. Any advice about boat fishing the lake would be welcome! River cat

2. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    Welcome to OKC. Hefner is my "weekend and holiday" lake because they don't have waterski/jetskis out there. Two places that I do fairly well are the flats around Stars & Stripes park, on the SE corner and the inlet area on the SW side. I normally just drift around with cut shad and manage to get c-cats. They don't let you throw a net there, so you'll have to find a place to get them.

Call Jones & Jones Bait. Just got off the phone with him. He has a 24 hour bait shop open now. 405-722-3443. Carl and Brandon are the experts at Hefner. They'll set you up. He doesn't sell lake passes yet, but Academy on 63rd does.

3. river cat

river cat New Member

State:
    Yukon Ok
    Thanks fr8frog. I'll try drifting. Never drift before but have read a lot about how to drift fish in Catfish Insider magizne. river cat

4. river cat

river cat New Member

State:
    Yukon Ok
    Sorry about the miss spelling fr8dog. river cat

5. BMills13

BMills13 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    There are some good river channel swings along the east side of the lake, in front of the restaurants. The north side of the lake has some deeper water with contour changes. The wind direction will greatly dictate where you're gonna fish on hefner. Drift socks 'll be a must on most days.

6. river cat

river cat New Member

State:
    Yukon Ok
    thanks Bmills13, I don't have a drift sock. Would draging a light anchor work? River cat

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the boc, this site is full of good info and great people

8. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    River cat- A light anchor or better yet a piece of logging chain will work. Hefner has lots of eaters and some larger channels. Occasionally some one will get a nice flattie and report it. There are a few blues in the lake as well.

catman george

9. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
  10. WhiskerWayne

WhiskerWayne New Member

State:
    Yukon Oklahoma
    That website is great, so many depth maps.. just not one for Elreno Lake... I need a boat.. just for a day.. :roll_eyes:

11. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I've been hearing the dam will open on August 1.
    The closed signs were still up, as of 2 nights ago.

Been trying around the enclosed dock and been seeing eater sized cats being caught on shrimp.

:004:

12. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Around the enclosed dock and the willows just north of it.
    Never seen anything real large, around 25lbs.
    For the flats, I'd rather try over on the north side of Overholser.

:004:

13. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Good night! 25lbs is big to me! My PB is only 14lbs. You ever need a fishing partner? I'm serious. I'd love to fish there with you some time. I live an hour away from OKC, but I come down often enough.

14. flat_head_fred

flat_head_fred New Member

State:
    ok
    im new to ok catfishing but havent been out there yet heard a lot of good things though. gonna give it a shot soon.

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Mark, that was definitely nooding... but isn't that illegal in Hefner? LOL

16. river cat

river cat New Member

State:
    Yukon Ok
    Four weeks ago I did this and save the catfish. However: I also slipped on the bank and fell / Busted my shin on the riprap the lake water caused it to get infected. I had surgrry

17. harley5247

harley5247 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    illegal to noodle a blue any where in Oklahoma

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Nope, it is legal to noodle all three of the major catfish in Oklahoma. Flatheads are generally easier to noodle, and a blue will flat let you know you should be careful of what you grab a hold of, but they are all legal providing you comply with the length on the flatheads, and don't violate the possession limit.

19. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK

Where is this law? I only know of flatheads as legal to noodle any non gamefish. Blues and Channels are gamefish and cannot be legally noodled as far as I understand, but I've been wrong before.