Heck of a sat fishing in afternoon rain.

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Welder, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Welder

Welder Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Troy
    Well we went out looking for fall flats at the mouth of the gasconade. 3 to 4 inch shad everywhere. Ran some light rigs in 23 foot of water where we marked a lot of fish got 1 one lb blue. It started raining and a huge school of whites blew up everywhere around the boat. Well we changed out to lures and 3 of us put 52 whites and hybrids in the boat in 2 hrs talk about epic. They was from 2 to 4 lbs each. Arms are still sore from cranking them in.

2. SteveMcK

SteveMcK Well-Known Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steve
    What an awesome time! It pays to be prepared for opportunities like that. Nice job.

Welder likes this.

3. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Name:
    Bob
    I remember the days my wife and I could do that a Stockton lake years ago, as far as you could see the white were bustin the surface, catch till ya dropped

Welder likes this.
  4. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    Sounds like a fun trip.

Welder likes this.
  5. MrBushHog

MrBushHog Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Greg
    I've had some days like that on the lower Osage, but it's been several years since I had one.

We did get into a big school of hybrids in August, but they were all stocker size.
    I suppose I should view that as a reason to have some hope for the future.

Welder likes this.
  6. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Name:
    Bob
    10 years ago it was like every morning in the summer, we would have our RV at the twin bridges camp grounds and would run to a spot towards greenfield launch and when we came around the first bend we could see them in the distance and just get in the middle and up they would come and it was on again. I didn't keep them then and my neighbor at the camp grounds who was keeping them for his freezer invited us over for lunch of white bass, well needless to say I have never thrown a nice one back since. Wonderful fish, grill, fry, smoke, thick white meat and just plain good, the only thing all the red meat must go. This year they are starting to come back, something happened years back, it was like the put a net across the stream and would not let any spawners back into the lake, they just were gone. It has taken years to get the population where it is today, I've been there to watch.

Welder and twaskom like this.
  7. Welder

Welder Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Troy
    Kinda the same for us here 3 years went by almost no whites or hybrids here

SHOWME likes this.