Heck of a day

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Kansas Tree Rat, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Killed a button buck tonight by mistake. I thought it was a small doe. He was in fact almost as big as some full grown does I have shot. He would have been a horse if he had grown up. He also had the biggest buttons I have ever seen. Oh well spilled milk and we have some meat for the freezer, but I would not have shot him if I had known it was a buck. I hunted pretty much all day except for a lunch break and an hour nap in the truck. I saw a decent 8 pt this morning and a bobcat and 6 coyotes. Could have shot at the cat but he was in some pretty heavy brush and turned out he was just a kitten so I let him walk. I could have shot one of the coyotes but passed him up too.
    When I went in this afternoon I was standing on my first step screwing in the third step when I looked around the tree and the buck I had seen this morning came walking down the trail. He was only about 15 yards and had no idea I was there. I froze and he walked right by at about 4 yards. He stopped and looked at me once and kept going. When he got by I tried to step down and he made me. He ran a few yards and stopped I almost got a shot but he finial blew and took off. Heck of an encounter.
    I shot the button at 5:07. I hit him a little bit farther back than I meant to but he only went 30 yards stopped and fell over ( 1 lung and liver ). I only waited about 10 minutes before getting my stuff ready to get down and it was maybe 25 minutes from the time I shot him until I walked up on him and the coyotes had already slipped in and started to pull hair off of his side. I saw him fall over but could not see him as he was laying in the corn. I dragged him to the edge of the field and sat my pee bottle between his front legs with the lid off and my spit bottle between his back legs. I walked out changed clothes and drove back in ( 40 minutes maybe ) and the friggin coyotes had knocked the bottles over and ate a 10” hole in his ribs. Did not lose much meat though.
    Heck of a day!

2. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Congrats on the deer. Glad you were able to salvage most of the meat.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    He'll make fine vittles. Shame ya didn't get a shot at the varmints too.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on the deer, but You might have been better off to ambush the coyotes as well.

5. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Thanks guys and you can bet that I will be chucking arrows at ever coyote I see from now on!

6. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Did a job at the Lawrence power plant and stayed at the Sunset Motel in Tongy if my memory serves me right. Small world. Anyway congrats and maybe gun hunt that gut pile to thin them yotees out.

7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hunt the gut pile and for coyote purposes Use a fawn in distress call if your done anterless hunting or be prepared the does might run you down.:wink:

8. Little Tree Rat

Little Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Stupid coyotes!! wish i could have been there!! see you this weekend:big_smile:

9. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Congrats on the deer and a great day in the woods. I would start killing every coyote I seen though.

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Wow! Sounds like there is coyote problem where you hunt! Glad the deer wasn't totally destroyed by the varmints. Don't feel bad about shooting the button buck. This happened to myself last year. I shot a button buck thinking it was a doe. The winter hair was covering the nubs on top of the little bucks' head.

11. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    i do that with good success...reps to ya bro:wink: