Heavy weights?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by bigmike, Jul 16, 2006.

1. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    Just curious if any one has a suggestion on how heavy of a weight I should use in a fast moving current? When I cast out into the middle or fish right next to our dam it seem to just keep drifting instead of sitting at one place on the bottom. I didn't know if going too heavy affects the hook set or the amount of fish caught. please send advice need thoughts. thanks

2. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    What kind of weight you are using makes as much differnce as the weight itself. If you use an egg sinker you need more weight a no roll or bank or pyramid will let you use lighter weight with the same results.

3. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    If your fishing from the bank, and the current is very strong, and there is a lot of snags, then you want a heavy enough weight that will reach the bottom in front of you if you cast upstream. Under these conditions you are wanting to get snagged on purpose. For that reason, you want to set up so that there is a lighter leader line to your sinker, or tied in a way that will allow your line to come free.
    Anyway, that has been my experience fishing below Keystone Dam in OK.

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Also check to see if it's your line moving in the water & not the actual sinker. This still tricks me sometimes. The current will move your line down but your sinker could be on the bottom & not moving.