Heavy test weight fishing line - Just curious

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by cathouse, Jun 25, 2009.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Mostly from not needing it but i am wondering what kind of circumstances require one to have to use lines in the 80-#100 weight class is it simply because with braid you can do so without the added diameter . Or are some of the places you fish you really need line that strong , again i don't know but would'nt say #40 big game or some other quality mono serve better as far as abrasion resistance , and be plenty strong . Please help me understand .

2. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use #65 power pro with my Abu baitcasters. I only bank fish the river. I need the small diameter for casting distance. The #65 seems to cast better than the #50 for me. I also fish in the same area where the current world record blue cat of 124lb was caught, so when the 125lb blue hits my line, I want to have a chance. Good luck.

3. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    I use braid it has no memory like mono. And you can really fell the smallest bites with it. And you can use double the test when using braids. And still get more line on your reel so you do not get spooled on a big fish. 65# line is only 12#dia so you do not get broken off as easy and it casts better too. When you fish the snags or log jams you need heavy line to keep them from hanging you up. Sometimes you need more pulling power to handle big fish thats why you need real heavy line. And then you can add different colored braid lines so you can see them better.

4. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Chris,
    I use 50 pound test Berkley Big Game mono. It seems to be very abrasive resistant and is strong enough to handle a vicious strike. I fish from a boat and shore but casting distance isn't usually critical. I have never used it but I have heard good things about Power Pro. It is however more expensive than mono and if you fish in an area where you might get hung up and lose line, then replacement cost might be a consideration also. Find what you are comfortable with and stick with it. Tight lines.

:cool2:

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    IMO you are right a quality 40# mono is perfect for the majority of fishing situations. some people feel the need to step it up (understandably) to cast right up to a snag and try to pull a fish away before it can turn and get back in the snag. for those brief seconds of not giving an inch yes it could make or break after that its not needed, if a fish wraps you good 20# or 100# its over. away from snags you dont need all that strain, better to give a little drag. other than that or wanting a little heaver line on a smaller reel witch said 65# power pro feels right, i dont see the need.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    First question in there was really "why use braid?".
    Lack of stretch can be an advantage for hooksets when a lot of line is out. Added sensitivity can be an advantage in several circumstances, one example is when you walk a bait down a river current. You can more easily feel the sinker move as it bounces downstream, vs just getting a big loop of line out in the current as the sinker and bait stay put. Smaller diameter can be an advantage when trying to get a sinker to stay put in a cross current. Safety is another reason... snag up with heavy mono and the sinker may come flying out like a bullet when it pulls free, not an issue with braid. And many folks just like the solid feel for hooksets and such.

Second question was, why such a "heavy" line?

You rarely hear of catfishermen who use a mono main line over 40lbs, because 40lbs is sufficiently strong for most situations. Personally I don't see a need to ever use heavier mono. But try 40lb braid, and you will eventually be telling stories about the line breaking off way easier than it should have - you get mystery break offs. Braid isn't very abrasion resistant vs mono, and has poor knot performance where eventually it starts to damage itself at the knot. We take these 2 relatively minor issues and compound them when we use braid that is only 20-25% the diameter of the mono it replaces. The higher test braids are used not to get a greater tensile strength, but to offset some of the weaknesses of braid. My general advice on choosing braid is to ignore the lb test rating, and go with a line that is about 50% of the diameter of the mono it replaces. For 40lb mono, that is 100lb braid.

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i like the best of both worlds, i use 80# power pro braid as my main line with about 4 or 5 foot of 40# big cat mono as a shock leader:wink: