Heavy spinning rods...

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by kyelkhunter3006, Jan 17, 2010.

1. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Any one recommend a heavy action 8 foot spinning rod? I mean something rated for up to 6-8 oz or so, line up to 40-50lbs? Best thing that I've come up with so far is the 8ft Cat Maxx rod. It's rated 1-4oz, 10-25lb line, but it's pretty stiff and I hung 6 oz on it at the store and it handled it with hardly a bend. I just don't know if those rods are worth $65 though.

Quantum has the Big Cat's, but I've heard such mixed reviews, I don't know if I want to go there.

I know Team Catfish has some, but I'm not spending $100 a rod.

Surge makes one at $70. Anyone fish it?

I can find 6.5ft and 7ft rods all day long. 8 ft is a good compromise from boat and bank.

2. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    I just bought a 8' Ugly Stick Bigwater in Heavy action a couple of months ago.Its rated for 6oz but I plan of slangging up to 20.Took it out once before it got cold and was slanggin 16oz sinkers without a problem.

If you want a 9' for around $45 bucks.Look into the Daiwa Sealine Surf.Its a MH but it will handle 8oz without a problem.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010

3. shaky

shaky Member

State:
    smithville mo
    I agree with this,^ I have a 9 ft ugly in med/heavy. Would not be worry about casting a 12oz weight with it.

4. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    I'm not a huge fan of the Ugly Stick or Tiger spinning rods. Tips are too light for my tastes and the grips are HUGE.

I stopped at Bass Pro today, as I was up near there getting something for work, so I figured what the heck. I got pack of 3oz sinkers off the shelf, it was a 3 pack, so 9oz total. I had a rubber band in my pocket, so I used it to hang the pack of sinkers off the tip of the Cat Maxx rod (8ft med/hvy). It handled it with just a slight flex, and when I bobbed the rod, it just flexed a bit more, but didn't bounce up and down. Just about what I want.

So I used my gift cards and bought two of them. They really are pretty stout rods, I think that they are seriously under rated at 10-25lb line and 1-4oz. I compared them to a Trophy Plus 7' conventional boat rod that's rated 30-50lb, and the 8ft Cat Maxx spinning rod is noticeable stiffer throughout the whole action of the rod.

The butt of the rod is a little longer than what I consider ideal, but that's my only gripe about it. I think that it'll be the perfect compromise rod for me for boat and bank fishing.

5. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Chris you won't be disappointed I bought some of the catmax rods when they first came out. I have the 8', 9' and 10'. I bought all mine when they went on sale.

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
  7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I got a daiwa beefstick, 11', 1-6 oz wt, 17-40 lb line. Maybe its a casting rod, but it works good for me. The price is not bad, I got a deal on it.

8. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    We'll see. They're making a trip to Santee Cooper with in Feb. Hopefully they'll get tortured!

9. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Catfish Safari makes a nice 8' spinning rod.

10. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

i know you dont want to spend $100 on a team catfish rod but I highly recommend the 3/4 ton. Its rated for 1-8 oz and it has a great action to it. Look into ugly sticks if you dont plan on spending too much. Look at the Ugly Stick Tiger or Cat. The Cabelas King Kat rods are nice for the price but they only can handle 1-4 oz. Berkley Glowstik are also nice but dont know the max amount of weight you can use on them.

11. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    I know you already got you a rod, but the Heavy Action Bigwater has barely ant flex in it.Even with a 12oz weight.Its not as flexible as the MH Bigwaters are the Tigers.

Those Surge Rods Look Nice.Might have to snatch one of them up.

12. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I have been using conventional rods as spinning rods for years,because I have never been satisfied with the strength of spinning rods.I have a 20-80lb Shakespeare Seastriker 8ft
    that has seen many reels used on it over the years,and also a 7ft Shimano Triton.I have no problems using spinning reels on those rods,and either will cast a lb + easily.Never noticed any issue with the fact they are conventional guides,though they both have high profile guides on them.I guess this is the shark fisherman coming out in me.I also saw one time that a long casting champion was doing this same thing and I never went back to spinning rods after that.

13. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    for the money you can't beat ugly's!

14. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Now,if you were a bank fisherman and just have to have a spinning rod I would recommend a Okuma Solaris in the 11 or 12 xh model.They will sling any bait you can cast and have a very nice action.Its the only spinning rod I have found reasonable priced that has the guts to do this.

15. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've heard very good things about Surge as well... also, I think Catfish Connection may still have some Quantum BigCat rods under close-out. Catfish Safari have been recommended too, not sure on the price point.

I just ordered a Tiger Lite 7' heavy spinning rod myself. Smaller grip (and shorter) than the standard tiger rod, and with higher graphite content should be a good rod for live baits with J hooks. Was just talking to a friend who used the regular Tiger Rods, and he said they were great circle hook rods, as they were still pretty flexible. So I went with the Tiger Lite.

I'll be putting up a review of the Tiger Lite rod after I get a chance to try it a few times...

As far as rating, I throw 4-5 oz lead with blugills on about any of my rods, most of which are in the medium heavy range (rated 3/4-2 1/2 oz; 1-3 oz etc). To me something like a Quantum Big Cat or Surge is plenty beefy enough. I want the flexibility on top.

Shawn

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010