Heavy Spinning Reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by roh1961, Nov 19, 2005.

1. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I want to know what you think about the comparison of the Okuma EPIXOR EB-80 and the Shimano BTR 6500B. To me the Okuma actually seemed a better reel. I was wanting to get an affordable, heavy duty, live bait reel. Thanks, Randy

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Both are good, If I would have to chose I would pick the shimano hands down...And I do have both of them :D

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I also own both reels , I fish almost every day and both have been good reels . I do like the EB-80 best.

4. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Looks to be running dead even for now. What type and weight line do you use on them?

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I use 20# biggame mono on all my reels,They are on big water ugly sticks 9 and 10 ft

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use 20-lb mono most of the time, have went up to 30-lb but it does not cast very well.

7. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    roh1961, The 2 reels that you have offered are Great and that is not a question! I own both and have found them to be solid pieces of equipment. The question that you asked was for info on a Heavy Duty Spinning reel. At this point I would veer away from the 2 that you have initially choosen. Take a look at the Thunnus or Big baitrunner M/L (Euro models) as they will provide what you need. These reel are constructed to deliver maximum cranking power from a fixed spool reel. They are what I have used for both Salt and Fresh water spinning application. I think that you will be more than a little surprised when you have a fish at the end. Your line, the rod and one of these reels as your tools and the fish of the world are your prey. JMHO!!

HOPPY4

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You might want to consider spooling up with braided superline. I think that 50# PowerPro is about the same diameter as 14# mono, and it's nice and limp with no memory. I've got 20# Remington Core-Lockd on a regular spinning reel that I use for skipjack, and I love it; it's the same diameter as 6# mono, and casts great. Whenever I use braided line, I attach a big strong swivel at the end with a palomar knot, then use a mono leader.

9. JJHACK

JJHACK New Member

State:
    Wa. State and Elisrass RSA
    Hoppy is right on the money. The Thunnus is the best heavy duty spinner made that is within a reasonable cost point that also has the baitrunner feature. I have caught 80 lb black tip sharks on them and a 7.5 foot bull shark that nearly spooled me with the 20 pounds of drag tension I had on that reel with 300 yards of 50lb braided line. The spool was so hot that I could smell it burning the drag grease inside the spool.

The shimano bait runners are the same design with lower cost bodys and less expensive bearings and gears. The Thunnus is clearly the big dog in the spinning reel game with the baitrunner feature.

Oh by the way, Thunnus is latin for Tuna, the hardest fighting fish you will likely ever catch.

10. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Yeah but we are talking about catfishing here, not sharks or tuna. There isnt a catfish in north america thats going to spool my 6500B. Get what you need instead of 300 more for no reason.

11. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    JAYNC, You make a valid point! If the fish that you are after will not require the heavier or more costly equipment, then why buy? The fun of fishing is the ability to fight the fish on a somewhat level playing field. The ability to purchase better equipment is a Blessing, but the Enjoyment is what we are after most of the time.

HOPPY4

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Depends on the situation! I can take you to places on the Arkansas River where you stand a very good chance of hanging a cat over 20#; and your chances of getting a 6500 spooled are probably 9 out of 10. On a couple of occasions, I've seen a Penn 309 loaded with 50# mono get spooled there by catfish probably over 50#.

13. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Well out here in eastern nc I normally catch catfish in the 50#size, and caught him on a 4500 baitrunner in swift current. Now if I can catch a 50# plus fish on the smaller baitrunner I have no doubt in my mind that I can catch any cat on the 6500. Personally I have seen all the so called abu's in action and they are always breaking and needing work. I will stick to my stout spinning reels as they work perfectly every single time.

14. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Having caught blues in the 40# and Flatheads over 50# on my Okuma Eb80 and Shimano 6500 . I can say that either will handle most any catfish . Both hold more than enough line (close to 400 yrds of 20# mono )Some day I would like to hook a cat that can spool me

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

when my abus or penns need work ill come back and post.

DONT HOLD YOUR BREATH! LOL.

16. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Roh1961, I regularly use spinning and baitcasting reels at the sametime. I know nothing about the two reels you were asking about. If you regularly fish from the shore, I wouldn't be too quick to use baitcasters. When I'm fishing from shore I prefer my spinning reels for two reasons, Castability and cleanliness. Although you can mess up a spinning reel with sand and other debris it's not as likely as with a baitcaster. Just my two cents worth, Vern

17. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I wont hold my breath on the Penn's because I know they wont fail, I own only Shimano Baitrunners and one Penn International 12T for catfishing. I am just saying what I saw on the Abu's, maybe it was a lemon or maybe improper maintenance but I do know he has to work on it periodically.