Heavy Rains

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Cuz, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hello Missouri Bros. Whats these heavy rains going to do the river catfish? Will it push them shallow this early in the season? I wouldnt have an alterior motive for wanting to know, like a little tournament or something. HaHa. I was curious what the masses think. I'm not worried about them having lock jaw, as they already had that. Its suppose to be in the 70's on Saturday. I figure the river level is bound to come up a little bit. Whats everyone's thoughts?

2. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    I've always found that rain = more oxygen and more food...which means better fishing. Just my thoughts. I would think that water temp would have more to do with where at in the water column they are. Good luck...let us know how you do.

Eric

3. tbones23

tbones23 New Member

State:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Jetdriver, More rain on the way tonight should push the river temps up a notch. I'd think these fish will start to get hungry and move up...I know I would!! I hopethe weather holds a bit, I'm going to try and get out for a few hours on the Mo. around Weldon Springs on Sunday. I haven't fished that stretch much but I've seen a lot of guys come back to the ramp w/ big fish. If nothing else, I've got to scratch the itch!! Best of Luck in the tourney!!

4. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sure can't hurt! Lets FISH

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    John,
    We already been catching them anywhere from 15 foot too 3 foot of water. The water temp around kansas city is 45. Nothing big yet but I think there in a transition pattern right now.

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    not much rain up here like they called for-Platte river up a smidge-it will come soon

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thanks for the insights gents. I live 40 miles south of St. Louis and it rained here nonstop for 2 days. I've got NEW irrigation ditches through my yard now it rained so hard. I'm going to Alton this morning and spending all day on my graph and catching bait. I figure its gonna take 150 pounds in a five fish limit to be close to the money. I've found some nice areas on satellite, topo map, and army corp navigation charts that Im itchin to run my transducer over. I'm fishing with my best friend from College, so even if I dont put a single fish in the boat, I'm sure well be having fun one way or the other. I'm gonna look around some of the tributaries and see if I'm painting any fish. The river has been so low I dont know if they will even be up that much. I was out two days ago, and the shad were still in real deep water. I hope they go shallow soon as I'm starting to get a little too old to be throwing a net for six hours to get enought shad for bait. I'm still sore from the two days ago. Any body been getting any skippies around Alton yet? I fished for them at some discharges the other day and didnt get a one. Probably still too early. Best Of lUck this year everyone.

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've had some pretty good days fishing for blues behind the dikes on the downstream side during rises of a foot or more. It only seems to work for a day or two, and then they scatter again.

9. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Jetdriver, were fishing above or below Alton dam? Haven't had a chance to see what the river levels were at and if you could launch from below the dam. Hope you painted some fish for the weekend...Good Luck

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I concentrated my efforts below the dam. WE didnt do so well during the tournament either. Only had 1 fish to weigh in, and I made my partner throw it back. I'd rather weigh no fish than take a dink to the scales in front of 200 people. There was a few teams that really wacked them though. We just couldnt find them.