Heavy Mono Leader Knot?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Foam Steak, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Foam Steak

Foam Steak New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What kind of knot do you all like for tying your heavy mono leader to your Swivel or threeway rig?

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Palomar all the way. I tie mine to the swivel first, then tie the main line to that so I can weave the leader through the knot.

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I've always liked the Improved Clinch Knot. first knot I learned to tie and have stuck with it. Also I like using the Palomar time to time. Arbor Knot for the reel spool and a blood knot for adjoining two lines of different diameters. Spider hitch knot when using 2 doll flies for White Bass fishing..:wink::0a26: Clinch Knot I'll use regardless of the size mono.

Mark..

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Improved clinch, but right now I'm playing with crimped sleeves. I like them, but the downside is, they don't lend themselves to use on the bank or boat. Gotta make 'em up on the kitchen table.

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I like polamor knots for any mono that's 20# or bigger. w/ a snelled hook too...bassmassey

6. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I use aluminum sleeves on all my leader lines with either a barrel swivel or a 3 way swivel connected to it to attach to my main line. Now keep in mind I use 100# mono leaders so take it for what it is.

7. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I do the same as James. Knots are too bulky on 80# and 100# leaders, but this size leaders are abrasion resistant and dont twist up nearly as bad in heavy current! I love aluminum sleeves and keep my crimpers in my boat!:wink:

8. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Same here, it is hard to tie 100# mono. I to love the crimped sleeves. Most of the time if I get hunged up, I will straightend out a 10/0 gama hook. So I know the crimped sleeves will hold up to the job.

9. Foam Steak

Foam Steak New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for all the input. I have used the Palomar and a 5 twist clinch and they have not failed but they allways look like they should :confused2: Do you know what I mean? They are big and bulky and just look like they are not tied correctly with the heavy leaders.

I have done some research and supposedly head to head the Polomar has beat out just about every other knot as far as strength goes, and it is super easy to tie. Supposedly it does not stand up to shock as well as say the Uni-knot or the Trilene knot but I was unable to find anything to back that up. So I am going to call that an internet rumor until I can find some proof or validate it for myself.

I may try those crimped sleeves on my heavier leaders and stick with the Polamar knot on the lighter stuff.

Again, thanks for all the input.

10. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

I MAKE ALL MY STUFF FOR THE SEASON..... I NEVER MAKE LEADERS OUT ON THE BOAT/ SHORE BECAUSE I WOULD DRIVE MYSELF NUTS :crazy:

I HAVE A RIG TO MAKE CLINCH KNOTS ( I HAD THIS IN THE TERMINAL THREAD BUT ILL POST IT HERE )

THE LINE IM USING IS 50 LB BIG CAT

7 TWISTS, DIP IT IN WATER , ( CLINCH IT ) , MAKE A SAFETY BEAD

Attached Files:

11. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

MORE PICTURES

Attached Files:

12. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

THE SAFETY BEAD IS NOTHING MORE THAN THE MELTED MONO TAB

IM USING A STURDY STUD ( LONG BOLT ) TO CLINCH ON THE HOOKS

THE CYLINDER THING YOU SEE IS 4 IN PVC WITH A COAT HANGER IN IT... I SPIN THE ONE END TO MAKE EXACTLY 7 ROTATIONS IN THE LINE.....THE OTHER END HOLDS THE SWIVEL ......

I USE THE NORMAL CLINCH KNOT FOR EVERYTHING.....SWIVEL, LEADER, MAINLINE, HOOK ( EYE UP/ DOWN ) ... EVERYTHING

RESPECT THE INITIAL SHIFT THE LINE DOES WHEN THE TAB PASSES THROUGH THE BOTTEM TWIST CAUSE THATS THE PART THAT KINKS THE LINE ANS BECOMES THE BIGEST WEAK SPOT

THANKS FOR READING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

13. Foam Steak

Foam Steak New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like that safety bead. I have seen that on a few shock leader knots but it is a good idea here.

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Always the polamor to me its the esiest and strongest knot you can use.

15. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I use leaders up to 80# and have had no problems with the palomar knot at all. So in my case if it ain't broke don't fix it :wink::smile2:.

16. Brian Moyse

Brian Moyse New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    I was using a uni knot on heavy mono. I had spoke to some saltwater fishermen and that is what they recommended for heavy mono. I will try using a polymer with mono, I have used it with braid and it worked well.

Brian

17. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i snell the hook, with a surgeon's loop at the top of the leader. run the loop through the swivel, then pull the hook through the loop. works great and it's very strong.

18. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    This is prolly more than what ya wanted to know but here it goes.... Prev Next Normal view To: JimCoz@msn.com
    Subject: done
    Date: Friday, July 4, 2008 7:14 PM

I just a simple 2 foot 2x4 , cause that's the size of most of my leaders these days. I stuck a old Allen key ( for big swivels ) in one spot and a aluminum trim nail with the head cut off next to it ( for smaller crane swivels, etc ).

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff114/jimmyjonny/100_2592.jpg

I tie my knot by hand but use the board to clinch it down perfect,its a extra hand and leverage. I also use a spray bottle to wet my knot, my knot licking days are over, LOL. Just hook the open end of the swivel and pull the mainline with one hand and pull the tag end with pliers.

All my clinch knots go through the eye 2 times. If you use a clinch knot you know that if it does break ( rare ), it breaks at the eye. Looping 2 times is well worth looking at. I haven't had one break there since I started doing it.

A clinch knot must be drawled up correctly and wet, pushed up tight, you guys know what I mean. Honestly I use needle nose pliers ever so gently to tighten up the clinch, all the way to the eye...dead tight. Just gotta be real careful or just use your thumb.

My tag end only gets twisted a full 3 times around the mainline, not 6 or 7. #50 mono will set smoother, tighter, and better vs... 6 or 7 times ( like thinner mono's ).

I also do all my rigs at home, at the kitchen table.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff114/jimmyjonny/100_2591.jpg

I wont ever give up my snelling hooks. The snell tips the hook, in a hook setting position. A snell hook wont ever get cut from the hook its self.....at the shank, where the eye meets. ( I cant afford them high dollar hooks )

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff114/jimmyjonny/100_2582.jpg

I was wondering if you guys using crimps fish in fast waters ? I'm pretty ignorant on the subject so I was wondering why you like them ?

Sorry bout the poor quality of the pic's

This is just my way...like already said if it works dont fix it.

-Jim-

19. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Some of you guys might have seen it on TV , " Knot Wars " our fishing club was haveing a meet and greet session and I made a knot pulling jig where you could test all the knots against each other, after a hr or so of testing the palomar knot was king we even pulled against a snelled hook and a tied palomar hook and the palomar won, so for my money once you GET USED TO TYING THER PALOMAR KNOT, ITS IS THE STRONGEST KNOT OUT THERE,,,:wink:

Puddle...

20. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I was wondering the exact method of testing that was done. Was each knot tied and tested individually ? or was there a different hook on each end then one end pulled ? Might be a crazy question but I gotta know for sure, LOL.

I will be the first to change to something better if it's proven ; ) Another question for ya please..... I strongly like the snell because the way the line runs into it and creates a natural trigger so to say. Is it worth losing this effect ?

thanks,
    -Jim-