heavy metal contamination in walleye

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by massa_jorge, Dec 12, 2007.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i was just curious about the other states' recommendations on eating walleye. in lake meredith, texas, where i fish they recommend adults don't exceed 8 ounces of walleye a month and kids don't exceed 4 ounces. they recommend pregnant women don't eat walleye at all. this is supposedly because of mercury contamination. i wanted to know if walleye are prone to soaking up these chemicals, because i haven't seen anything on any other species of fish in this lake. i regularly eat flatheads, crappie, sand bass, channels and blues from this lake and have never really thought about it. in the winter, i eat way more than 8 ounces of walleye, and have noticed no adverse side effects, other than the intense urge to return to the lake and catch more walleye.

2. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    mercury contamination is found in almost all fish with the larger fish having the most contamination. It also varies with each lake or watershed as to how much mercury a fish will contain, some lake and rivers are contaminated more than others. Most places with any mercury contamination only recommend to eat fish once a month, amounts of fish you should eat varies from state to state and on how contaminated they believe the lakes or rivers are. Hope this helps.

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Every lake I fish has a posted limit on how much fish you should eat.....usually a half a pound a month. I try not to eat to much, but, I have never had any adverse effects. It is just a shame we don't have any pristine waters.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jordan,as you know I live just upriver from you ,and we have no posted dangers on any of the fish here,??????? seems like it should travel downstream . Theres no type of contaminating influences here ,unless it might be downstream near boys ranch [theres a big crusher ,right on the canadian].

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    yeah richard, i hunt deer, quail and coyotes right down from that quarry by boys ranch. i just thought it was weird that only walleye were listed, when that lake is chock full of several different species of fish. i was thinking that maybe, since mercury is going to be at the bottom of the lake more, it would effect walleye more since for most of the year they inhabit the deepest parts of the lake?

6. BILLY HOLCOMB

BILLY HOLCOMB New Member

State:
    WINFIELD,MO
    I FISH THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER AND THAT IS WHAT I USED TO HEAR. BUT ON THE COVSERVATION SIGHT THEY SAY WALLEYE ARE ALLRIGHT BUT CAT FISH LIMITED TO 1 MEAL A WEEK AND YOU SHOULD NOT EAT STURGEON. THE CHEMICAL IS NOT MERCURY BUT PCBS AND CHLORDANE IN THE FISHES TISSUE AND THAT IS FROM THE MISSOURI DEPT OF HEALTH. YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR DEPT OF HEALTH AND NOT THE CONSERVATION DEPT DO TO LACK OF TESTING. HOPE THIS HELPS

7. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Up here in North Dakota we are clear of all eating advisories. I don't know of any place around that had a heavy metal warning out.