Heavy line test knots?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dihardhunter, Sep 26, 2005.

1. dihardhunter

dihardhunter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We use 100 lb. test for leaders and limb sets, but we have had a problem finding a perfect knot to secure the hook to the business end of such large line. We are using 8/0 octopus circles and have tried typical improved clinch knots and trilene knots, but those are too complicated for such large line and the line doesn't always cinch down like smaller tests. Any suggestions on knot names that work with heavier gear would be muy appreciated.

2. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Have you tried a "polymer" knot?
    Seems about the easiets one for me to remember/tie

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
  4. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Thanks T,as you can tell :D
    I don't get paid for spelling!
    (thank god for spell-check)

5. dihardhunter

dihardhunter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks, yea I've tried that Palomar knot too, but it doesn't want to cinch up as tight as I would like with that bulky line.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Dihardhunter. If i knew your name I would use it. LOL! Darn good question. I use circle hooks all the time and know that the way to get the desired performance out of the hook it is best to snell them. I use 50# test leader material for my hooks with a uniknot snell. I've noticed on ocasion that the winds of the leader material seem to come loose from time to time. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread. THANX!

7. quadman

quadman New Member

State:
    Danville, Virginia
    I have a great knot for you. I don't know the name or if it has one because it doesn't cinch really. I can guarantee you though that it will not only retain 100% of the line strength but actually a little more because it never cinches and it won't unravel unless you want it too. Using this knot requires that you use a swivel to tie the rig to the main line. First take the hook in your hand, run the line through the eye about an inch or so, I prefer offset eyes myself, hold the line that you run through the eye against the shank, now take the other end of the line and start wrapping it around the shank starting from the eye going towards the gap, I usually wrap no less than 7 times, grasp the coils so that they don't unravel and run the tag end back out the eye on the opposite side that you went in and pull tight. It's very simple to do and I promise you it works. As I said I prefer offset eyes because it allows the hook to aim away from the line a bit. Try it and let me know what you think.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm gettin the picture Donnie. LOL! You will get some feedback from me. THANX!

9. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Why not do what we do in salt water and just get some sleve's and a set of crimpers, and use crimped sleve's they are easy and hold great and easy to do when your hand are cold and wet.

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    quadmans knot works i think its called a snell,its the same as you buy in shops ,also i use a loop rig but im useing 150# dacron on a 7k abu with J hooks (tie a loop in the line bout 4" long run it thru the eye then run hook thru the loop )works well for me . with large mono i tie a simple fishermans knot . you can check knot strenght with a bow scale or simlar spring scale by sticking the hook in a vise.my dacron breacks at 180# the loop knot dont break the line does. good luck

11. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
  12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I snell all my hooks the same way as above. Works great and its quick to replace hooks. That two hook rig looks cool, im going to have to try that. Dont know how it would work with such large line though.

13. danasdad

danasdad New Member

State:
    Conway, AR
    Gater, you just through a new word into my basket. Crimpers. I don't think I've seen it in a catalog. :confused: My knots always seem to be to big and awkward with heavy line. Is it as easy as it sounds? Maybe cost to much? If it's so good, I wonder why haven't I seen it before? Can you make a loop in the end of a line that will hold? Sorry for so many questions but as you can see I don't know a thing about them. :sad: ---Rod---

14. quadman

quadman New Member

State:
    Danville, Virginia
    Well, you learn something new everyday! I have been doing my hooks that way for years but was told it wasn't a snell because it didn't cinch or knot! I guess I can tell that person what they know! Back to the snell, I promise you it works great and is fast and easy to tie! I tested it's strength up against a palomar knot, using a scale to pull with and it wasn't even comparable. This snell actually exceeded the line weight rating! Try it and see for yourself. Remember to use a slow steady pull and not a jerking method.

15. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I use a double palomar and then grab needle nose plyers and hold the swivel as I pull the tag and the main line. For the hook, I usually hook the hook around the handle of my empty bucket and tug the tag line and the main line by hand. wetting the line a bit keeps it sliding smoothly.... and Ive done some big diameter lines with this knot. Up at the game ranch I help out at, I even used a palomar to secure our big game spreaders to the buck pole with cable. Of course for that I used the tractor bucket to pull it tight. lol

The double palomar is the same as the single it just requires that you double your line over at the beginning and thread the loop through at the outset, thus giving you twice the threaded hold power.

Good luck

Sal