Heavy gear-ain't some of it just overkill?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by countrycat15, Aug 20, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hay yall,i have a quistion.i know that is good to be prepared for the big one to bite but some of the guys i see using all the big gear(huge reels,10 foot heavey action rods,big 10/0 hooks,and bait as big as my hand)dont some of yall think it is overkill? i mean i feel that i could land a big trophy size catfish on my penn 9 and abu 6000's.but thas just me. so come on guys how many of yall like to use what some would consider "medium" sized gear for big cats.

btw-im not lookin for neg feed back or to make this a heated thread,im just wanting to hear every bodys opinion.:cool2:

2. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    if you are going to let your fish go it's better to have the big stuf so you can get the fish in quick it's alot beter for the fish.

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Bigger baits will lure bigger fish. Bigger baits require larger hooks. It really depends on what size cats are found in your area and the size you want to target.

4. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Kenny, I understand. I go fishing with my husband (vlparrish). He's got the boat loaded down with gear and has about 30 rod holders on a 14ft boat. He has so many poles out(for himself), that I told him they were blocking out the sun. Guess who usually catches the fish(ME, with my 1 pole). I'm the type of person who likes to take as little gear as possible to have more room in the boat. I also wouldn't mind just fishing like I use to as a kid--with a cane pole. Just my opinion.

5. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    hey man i think that it's fun to fish the banks for the smaller fish with your medium polls but when your in the boat you need the over kill tackel.

6. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Yes and no. Sometimes it's overkill and sometimes not. As bowfin said, about it being better for the fish etc. Yes, it is good to have large gear that you can horse a fish in with etc. Also, a lot will depend upon where you are fishing, how far do you plan to cast etc etc..

I use very heavy gear, medium gear and very light gear. Each has its place for a given circumstance. "Right tool for the job", right?? There are times when I cannot buy a strike on the heavy or medium gear and I need to make a much more natural presentation. So, I will go to my very light gear with 6 or 8 pound line, small hooks, small baits etc.

If I am fishing super snaggy waters where I am continually hung up and where fish could easily wrap me around something, I want something heavy that I can really put the pressure on them and get them away from the snags, if possible.

Also, if I am bank fishing and need to make very long casts with some heavy baits etc. I am going to use some pretty heavy equipment and some long rods to be able to cast to where I want.

So, again, I say, "Yes and no."

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    There IS a reason for big gear, you don't always need it, but a lot of times you do.

#1- BIG bait is almost always better for big fish, yes it is true that sometimes smaller bait will catch you a big fish, but your chances are much better with a giant bait in my opinion.

#2- Are you going to hook a huge bait on a 1/0 hook? Well, maybe you could try that, but you're going to have a hard time hooking a big fish with no gap on the hook exposed. That's why I use at least a 8/0 hook almost all the time, usually a 10/0 Kahle, and I catch even 5lb fish on huge baits on the 10/0 hook.

#3- A lot of us fish in places that can have very swift current, have you ever hooked a 30+ pound fish in very fast current? Yeah, try turning him around with 15 or 20lb line a little Penn 109, or Abu 6000, it ain't going to be easy if even possible. AND If you're fishing in very fast current, chances are you are going to be using a BIG weight, not always, but a lot of times at least a 5oz weight. Ok, try casting 5-10oz on a light or medium action pole.

#4- Ok, hook a big fish around snags and try to get him up with some little gear, to add to that, try doing it in that fast current I was just talking about. Most likely the fish is going to get you in trouble and most likely break your line.

I'm after the record fish, I'm not worried 5, 10, or 20lb fish. I want to know I can handle whatever size Catfish I'm going to hook. Don't get me wrong, you CAN catch big fish on small gear, and sometimes I do use smaller gear in the lake with no current. But for the most part I use large Penn reels, and Abu 6500 and 7000's, with at least 25lb test line. If or when I hook a record size fish, I'm not going to have to worry about my gear making me lose the fish.

8. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    When I'm fishing the river or someplace snaggy, I'll use my E-cat, BigCat, 6500, Penn, etc. But my usual fishing is on smaller lakes for channells, so I'll normally use a medium action rod and either a Mitchell 300 or Zebco 33. Sure, there's always the chance of losing that state record, but it's plenty for those 2-10 lbers we usually catch, and a lot more fun. Gotta make up your own mind, depending on your water and your preference.

9. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    i think you should fish with what you have confidence in,just because a man fishes in a boat doesn't mean he needs a 6' 2x4,rope and a hook made of rebar,i like lighter tackle and have caught big fish on it,to me 95% fishing is about the fight,but that was the way i was tought,and brought up with,and trophies can be caught from the bank.just my $.02

crome

10. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
  11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Yes, some of it is overkill.

I am in the middle of the road. ABu Garcia 5000's and 7'-0" medium-heavy Ugly Stik rods, 20# line, and 4/0-7/0 circle hooks. It is designed for the fish that I catch regularly, which is up to about 15 pounds. With all that in mind I have caught cats 20-30 pounds on the same gear.

I do fish a few tournaments, so the slightly heavier gear is great for that. I can safely and quickly land a well hooked fish with this gear. This size gear also makes landing fish easier when multiple lines are out. Smaller tackle puts you more at the mercy of the fish, and this can lead to a mess or a broken off fish dragging 30 feet of mono around.

There is a balence between too light and too heavy. Who wants to spend a ton of money on heavy action rods and reels when all they catch are two pound cats? Who wants to deal with the cost of 50# braided line when 20# mono will work? You have to be smart and come up with a combination that works best for the fish you are after.

12. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    That all depends on the angler and how they fish. Some folk's think the reel is what lands a fish,when infact it's not the reel that carries the load. I've seen to many ppl cranck their reels to fight a fish,that just cracks me up. LOL The reel is for casting & picking up line,The rod is what you should be using to fight the fish. The rod is what carries the load if one is using their gear the right way. A nice rod with good backbone & Knowing how to set a drag is the key to landing large fish. I have a full line of 500 series Abu spinning reels on Abu rods that has never let me down when landing nice fish. I've seen folk's with real large reels on small rods with their drags locked down and they use their reel like a wench.LOL You would be shocked to know just how many ppl don't know how to use their gear the way it was intended to be used. So what may seem to be over kill to you or I may be what they have to use to land large fish.

13. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    For most of my fishing, I use an Abu 6000, 30 pound line, and medium action rod. If the circumstances call for it, such as fishing the boils below Kentucky Dam, I use a short heavy action boat rod with a Penn 309 and 50 pound, or larger, line.

Have a nice day.

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I got caught up in buying all the heavy equipment then realized it's what I use to use. I have now sold most of it off and am back to medium equipment and ultra light again. I like the smaller ones so that there is a challenge to catching the fish. I could use fifty pound line on the fish I catch and would never have anything that would break my line. This way the sporting part is back in it for me, I may win the fight or I may lose. I like the challenge more than the horsing in a fish. JMO

15. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I think there are for the most part many different situations to decipher when choosing tackle , but as a **general** rule I look at current and cover. Current because in a fast spot a twenty pounder can feel like a Volkswagen, and cover because those favorite cat holes are usually log jams lol

16. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

There is such a thing as overkill, but you have to determine what that is for you and the waters you fish. Here in Michigan, you can get away with anything "medium-sized" because the largest catfish here is only going to be in the 40's if you're lucky. On the other hand, a ten pound channel can be very sporting even with a composite rod like an Ugly Stik Tiger. Personally, I don't want to just get by with gear, so I go a little bit heavier. That way I cover the entire spectrum of freshwater species AND some saltwater just in case I ever get to go. Most of the fish I catch don't stand a chance, but there is always the one that is a beast to turn even with heavy gear. My choices are set up "just in case" that one comes my way...

17. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Good question!! Myself, I think it depends on where you fish. If you fish in big rivers you need all the help you can get( with all the current). In lakes and small bodies of water you could probably make do with the medium/heavy action equipment. All of my stuff is medium/heavy but if I could afford it I would probably have the best too. I would hate to hook a monster fish and not have the equipment to land it.

18. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    two of my favorite rods are trophy-e-cat with a akuma avenger and a berkley big game med-heavy rod from walmart with a opix reel real cheap $40 invested, just the other night i let my cousin use the berkley and he caught a 27lbs blue on it he asked me how many lbs of fish has been caught on that rod and reel im not sure but last year we had acouple of 900lbs nights and alot of 500 to 600lbs night out on the water both rods and reels are spooled with 20lbs berkley xt and useing a 8 o/t hooks

19. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    In my area anything bigger than a Zebco 33 combo is probably overkill. But we are Americians and we are known for overkill. Bigger TV's, Super Size at fast food joints and ETC. Anyone remember a 7 oz coke (bottle)? Just think, a bass pro uses a 40,000 dollar boat, 400 dollar reel, 300 dollar rod. 1,000 dollars worth of lures, and the average bass caught is just over a POUND.

:006:

20. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    After catching a 30.1lb Flathead five years ago, I started buying all saltwater gear in hopes of tangling with another 'bigger' fish. Sure, it might take the fun out of catching 5-10lb fish, but when fishing on the Missouri River like I have for the last few years, you need to be prepared. I'm sure glad I had the right equipment last Monday when the big one hit. If you're under tackled, you might lose the fish of a lifetime!